Sunday, May 1, 2016

Arrival in the Village

Toady's song is: White Rabbit at Woodstock


The journey was interesting to say the least. Our original pickup time was 12 pm for truck 1 , then 1 pm for truck 2 then 4 pm for truck 3, then 6 pm for truck 3, then 8 pm for truck 3. We then opted for the twice as expensive, big mother truck, for 7 pm, which got lost and then found in traffic as the Dinosaur pod wheel burst into flames (downtown amusement park), but eventually it arrived and we threw everything into the cavernous interior, including the 5 of us and we bounced down the road to the village, finally arriving about 1:30 am. Thais are similar to Canada's indigenous population when it comes to time and showing up for work. Partly PC, but if you have ever worked with indigenous populations you know what I mean.

We unloaded quickly and left everything outside and went to sleep. It turns out it was a cool night under the mosquito nets which were really not needed as the drought has killed them all off. I awoke. very late, at 8:30 am to the sound of Thavorn retching outside the bedroom window. It turns out that Jabba (momma) had fed her something that even Thavorn's iron clad Thai stomach could not stomach. If y about a yeou don't get the Jabba reference you will have to read back in the blog about a year. BTW, I am slowly warming up to Jabba, just a lot to warm up to :-)

After a while Thavorn started to feel a little better and we started tidying up our mess, but mostly Jabba's and Lot's (live in BF for Jabba, go figure) mess. There must have been a week's worth of unwashed dishes, pots and pans. It turns out Jabba has missed Thai's help around the house.

I had to make a trip to to the wash house and came across 6 Thai men, including Lot, pissed out of their minds at 9 am. Not a rare occurrence in rural Thailand. There were 3, 45ish types and 3, 25ish types. They kept it up for the next 3 hours, consuming cheap Thai whisky. They then disappeared to sleep it off.

Jaidan is having a bit of trouble adjusting but that will pass. I, myself am enjoying myself. Thavorn is happy to be home :-)

Apparently, the aircon technician will be here to install the aircon I bought at Big C in Bangkok and brought with me. It will be interesting to see what time he shows up at.

In the meantime, here are some pics I promised. The truck photos are blurry as I was bouncing around a fair bit.



 In the back of the truck for 5 hours


Jaidan trying to stay cool


Thavorn doing a weeks worth of dishes


Decluttering Jabba's porch


Jabba's new walker we picked up in Bangkok


Village crossroads


Village street


Village forest cleared to keep Thai boys from partying in


Rambo country


Satellite dish


Different type of gated community than the US


My running track for the next month


More of the running track


My gym for the next month


ditto


Nicer home in the village


Latest exercise equipment


My room for the next month


My work area


Temporary aircon

TTYL


1 comment:

  1. Even with a gym like that I think you are going to be getting a ton of exercise. No dip, pullup bars? China's parks are loaded with those.

    ReplyDelete