Friday, May 6, 2016

Page Views and Reflections on Thai Life

Today's song is: My Generation by The Who


This blog has readers from many different countries. Here are the stats since I started the blog a year ago. Here are the page views by country:


France continues to puzzle me as I do not know anyone in France. I suppose Google is responsible.

The next time you visit Thailand and you are chowing down the superb cuisine that is available everywhere you may want to have these articles (courtesy of the Bangkok Post) in the back of your mind. 


Reflections: Getting the aircon in was a dream. The suspended ceiling has been a Thai experience. The boss is 66 and his grunt is at least 45 and they are both Thavorn's uncles (should have been a clue). It has now been 3 days and they are still not done. Meanwhile they leave a mess that has to be seen to believed. Apparently Thai workers do not clean up after themselves. So I have swept (with Thavorn's help (Lot and Jabba are useless) and mopped the complete floor 3 times and moved mt stuff in and out of my man cave 3 times and no doubt I will have to do so on the 4th day if they happen to finish.

What gets in their way as they work is simply tossed out the window.


I will have more on garbage in the village later on in this post.

It was over 40 degrees in the village today and has been for the last 3 days. I have been without aircon during the day and I sit in a hammock drinking 5-6 liters of water a day. However, at this moment I sit in my man cave with the temperature dialed down to 24 degrees chowing back on fried pork and steamed rice, with a little hot sauce. It tastes wonderful!

The other morning I got up and poured my pre-run coffee and added milk to discover many ants floating belly up. I thought maybe someone had left the coffee jar open, but no ants there! I then checked the sugar jar, but no ants there! I thought the milk was in the fridge all this time and it was sealed so it can't be the culprit. I then checked the kettle and found at least 50 of the little buggers all boiled up as mini lobsters. I felt no pity! These little buggers are red ants and their sting or bite is really bad and takes 3-5 days to go down. I was happy the little buggers had been using my kettle for their nightly swim. Bring it on you red devils :-)

Oh yes, garbage. I had mentioned previously that the village Thais simply throw every thing on the ground and when it starts sticking to their feet they rake it into a pile with all their waste paper and plastic and set it on fire. I asked about garbage collection and there is none. I asked about a municipal or town dump and that seemed to amuse them. What I have observed with my own eyes is the many pickup trucks in the village stopped on the side of the highway tossing garbage out willy nilly. I shudder to think what the garbage police in my older sister's building would think of such behavior!

Here are some pics of my completed man cave. It is not much but it is home for the next month.


Thavorn and Jaidan share the queen and I sleep on the grey mattress topper.
Puppy (Ikea) goes everywhere with Jaidan.


My blessed aircon :-) Samsung


My work area with my wonderful 34 inch monitor.

My getting into shape is going well but I have found it much harder than in the past. I have been using air-conned gyms and cushioned tread mills. I now have concrete and a morning run temperature of just over 30. My new Asics Kayano 22's help to cushion the run but when you are 65 and have not run  (swimming instead) for the past 2 years it is going to hurt.  However, some things never change. Day 3 is always the hardest and then it slowly starts to get better. I am on Day 6 tomorrow.


My asics - not thrilled with the color, but it was the least ugly!

I am really watching what I eat but I did give into a coke craving at 7/11 today as the 3 of us, Jaidan, Thavorn, and I shared a small bottle of coke. Many of the soft drinks here in Thailand still come in the familiar glass bottle we used to get in Canada 50 years ago. It is like stepping back in time.

I am hoping I reach my goals of 3 kilometers in under 18 minutes and a weight of 190 pounds which was the weight I played University football at. If I do then I think that is not bad for a 65 year old :-)

TTYL






1 comment:

  1. The shoes look good to me.

    I require a proxy to look at this site so probably appear to the page view counter as coming from the USA rather than China.

    ReplyDelete