Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Gym

Today's song is: Private Dancer .. Tina


Before I actually visited Thailand, I envisioned a land of temples, villages, rats and snakes. I certainly did not expect to find the 5 star hotels, complex shopping centers and movie cinemas, and exotic cars I find on the streets of Bangkok.  Cambodia and Laos are more like I envisioned and Thailand, I discovered is a land of contrasts.

I am totally amazed with the selection of vehicles I see on the street. Exotic cars and motorcycles are common place. Whenever I walk to Big C, I pass by a car/motorcycle detailing shop where I see Maserati, Ferrari, the odd Rolls, etc. Someone is making lots of money in Thailand!

Harley Davidson, Ducati, KTM, and even Vespa (the Cadillac of scooters) all have a presence in Bangkok. However, most of the population are riding 125cc motorbikes. Thailand is considered a developing country but it sure puts Canada and the US to shame when it comes to expensive rides.




Bangkok also has the best gyms I have experienced. It is interesting to see how the gyms are used. In Malaysia, the most common activity was walking on the treadmill and reading the newspaper. In Bangkok, I find there are 2 types of users. The user either uses the running, stair steppers, bikes or gliders for aerobic exercises (predominantly women) or use the strength building machines to get in shape or get bigger. Very few people (mostly women and myself) use both types of machines.

The group classes are very popular with women and Thai kickboxing training is also popular with the ladies.  The clientele has to be hiso as the gym is expensive.  It would appear to be a great place to meet someone, but I see very little evidence of that, but that may go on after work hours, when I do not use the gym.  During the day and on the weekends it is quiet.

The outdoor environment at Queens Park is very popular with the loso runners and weight lifters, mostly when the sun goes down and the temperature drops below 30 degrees.

Thailand, is a land of contrasts  .. interesting that the middle class is starting to disappear in North America as the rich get richer and the middle class slips .. hey Bernie, what are you up to these days?

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment