Wednesday, November 2, 2016

In Search of the Golden Fleece

Today's song is: Can't You Hear me Knocking  .. Stones


I struggled with today's title. Jaidan and I were up and about early, going for a walk, in search of a Lego toy we bought yesterday. The search was in vain, much as I suspected it would be. We also observed many Farang/Thai couples that I suspect were the result of last night's search in the bars. Ode to a Grecian Urn was also on my mind as I observed the angst on both Farang and Thai faces as negotiations were underway.  'You want see me tonight?' Yes. 'You bar fine me again, pay me 5,000 baht?' Whoa, 'You not like me last night?' 'Yes, but if I not go work I will be fined!'. 'Okay, I pay bar fine.' 'You want me stay with you all night?' Yes. 'Then I need 5,000 baht, have to pay rent, buy food'. WTF?

My chances of finding the lost toy were next to impossible as a Thai person finding it would thank their lucky karma and explaining to the Thai person working at the Drugstore I suspected I left it in was challenging to say the least. How you can be a university trained pharacist and not have a modicum of English is beyond my understanding.

There has been quite a bit of discussion by punters online about the rising cost of pay4play in Thailand and Bangkok in particular. The punters state that Thai women all think they have a golden pussy and are charging prices accordingly. I think what the punters don't get is that pussy (can call it that as Trump does) is now a global commodity and with the advent of the internet and smart phones, Thai women are well versed in its value to punters from developed countries.

In a global market place, supply and demand as well as what buyers are willing to pay determine the price. Air fares in S.E. Asia are very cheap and the South Koreans and Japanese can easily pay more for pussy with what they save on air fare compare to your average Farang. It appears that the Koreans and Japanese are much easier for the Thai ladies, who have nicknamed them 333's ... 3 minutes, 3 inches, and 3,000 baht. They invariably only want short term, and do not seek out the GFE (girlfriend experience).

The Farang/Thai couples I observed seemed to be negotiating on what to do now. No doubt the punter is doing the math figuring out that last night cost him about $300 and at that rate, 2 days into his 1 week holiday, he will be running out of money soon,  The Thai girl is thinking, can I spin this out over the next 5 nights and be able send some money home to mama and the kids, or perhaps even put some in my bank account, and maybe I can convince (fleece) him to look after me by sending money monthly to keep me out of the bars.

At this moment in the Farang's brain, if he is well educated, he will recall that Keat's Ode to a Grecian Urn is all about the hunt and passion and not the conquest, because the conquest is seldom as much enjoyment as the brain (addled in alcohol as it was) assumed it would be. And that, is the one truth to be learned about Farang/Thai relationships.  It is also why many Farangs who live in Bangkok do not wish to a have a Thai girlfriend or wife, but merely indulge in pay4play on as needed basis.

So I chose the title of Golden Fleece, rather than golden pussy. I must be getting more PC in my old age.

Thavorn gets back from the village this afternoon and I am looking forward to curling up with a good book for a couple of hours of down time. Jaidan has been excellent, but he is a busy boy at times :-)

TTYL

1 comment: