Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Hump Day

Today's song is: Turn the Page  .. Bob Seger


The middle of the week always presents a challenge. Off to the gym I went and had a great workout and then I headed off to McDonalds for their signature hamburger special.  I had previously agreed to meet my friend Arthur at Rumours Bar at 1 pm so I had time to kill and decided to people watch out the window at McDonalds that looks out on Sukhumvit, the major thoroughfare in Bangkok.

There was the same cross section of tourists, from young couples with backpacks, boys on the prowl (usually with backpacks), girls on the prowl (usually with rollies), older couples (always with rollies) and farang/Tai couples (hand in hand). My first observation is that the older folks in their late 50's or early 60's would really benefit from time in the gym and less time at the table.

I envy the boys and girls on the prowl. I would have had a fantastic time in my mid 20's.  It would have been a real eye opener and would have dramatically changed how I spent my mid life.  For better or for worse, who knows, but as momma used to say, 'The Walter Mitty in you would have loved it!'

Farang/Thai couples really interest me. There has to be a book in there somewhere. I would really like to interview the couples and ask where they are in their relationship. Some of the farangs are obviously besotted with their Thai partner, whereas I am thinking, 'Of all the Thai girls out there, why her?'  Some of the older farang/Thai couples seem very comfortable with each other and are obviously in a long term relationship.

The older farang couples were suffering with the heat today, whereas I found it quite pleasant without the humidity of the rainy season. You do get acclimatized after a few years.

Monday was the Loy Krathong Festival in Bangkok and Thavorn, Jaidan, and I braved the crowd to launch our offering.

Loy KRATHONG – FLOATING LIGHTS

The krathong is a small floating offering about 20 centimeters in diameter. Traditionally this is made from the leaves and wood of the banana tree. The raft is decorated with flowers, a candle and an incense stick. People often leave a small coin in the krathong, and occasionally they will leave a lock of the hair or even nail clippings. On the night of the full moon people will light the candle and the joss stick, and float their krathong down the river. This is a way that bad fortune can be discarded and made to float away. Thousands of these will float down the river making for a beautiful and moving spectacle.



This festival is very popular with locals and tourists alike.

Usually at this time of year there would be lots of Christmas ornamentation but that is missing this year due to the morning period of the King. On Monday, music (live bands) returned to the bars but everyone is still wearing black and white. The closing hours are back to their normal 2 am.

If I get out this weekend I will update you on the bar scene.

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. Rollies? I had to try to look that one up. I first thought that a rollie would be a stroller like for a baby. But I didn't see how a girl would be "on the prowl" with a stroller. More like prowling complete.

    Google searches pointed to rollies being Aussie slang for self-rolled cigs. But I am pretty sure that is not what you meant.

    ReplyDelete