Friday, May 27, 2016

Bangkok in 2 Sleeps

Today's song is: Alice's Restaurant .. Guthrie


and I don't want a pickle ...


in case you think he never sings a complete song ..


I am getting really excited about getting back to Bangkok for 2 nights. I have Sunday to myself, arriving in Bangkok about 3 pm after catching the bus out of Wichian Buri about 9:30 am and then a taxi from Mo Chit (Northern Bus Terminal in Bangkok) to my hotel. I will head out for some beers and entertainment on my own on Sunday night.

On Monday I will join King Arthur and King John for some wings at 7 pm and then we three kings are off for a night on the town.It should be fun and usually winds up quite late the next morning. Unfortunately I will start my journey back to Canada about 2 pm a wee bit under the weather. You can't always get what you want at Alice's restaurant. You have to take the bad with the good.

I hope to play some pool Monday afternoon before meeting for wings. Bangkok is a great place to play pool and the beautiful young ladies are quite good pool players and present quite a challenge if I am not on my game (lucky and concentrating).  It is usually 20 baht a game where the loser pays, unless you are playing one of the pool girls and then you always pay.

My programming (conversion of existing programs) has been going well but it cost me 200 ml of red wine (180 calories) yesterday and a Singha Lite (95 calories) today. It is monkey work and extremely boring, but needs to be done as the existing programs were written in flash and Google is starting to make noises about abandoning supporting the use of Flash. Newer Android devices, iPhones, and Macs already prohibit its use.

I was considering buying an RV for my 5 months in Ontario each summer but after exploring teh cost of securing a campsite I think I would be further ahead to purchase some cottage property and use it for my summer months. I am looking at 150K to 200K, but would prefer a cheaper fixer upper. If you have the skills and time to renovate (I do) you might as well make use of them.

Thavorn is doing a final wash for me and I will pack tomorrow. I always travel light with a small backpack and a carry-on bag. Many airlines now charge for checked luggage which should be a crime, alongside their fuel charges which never seem to disappear or get adjusted even with half price fuel they are now buying.

TTYL

2 comments:

  1. Watch Tiny Homes on HGTV...you can build a tiny (and mobile) home for under $100.0K easily that would suit your needs. I have seen some built for $40.0 K US dollars that were two bedrooms, nice bathroom with shower, kitchen, and seating area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been following that trend, but the problem is land and getting a loan/mortgage to finance a land purchase and build at my age is problematic. I will need to partner up with another expat or perhaps a sister :-). A fixer-up cottage on a lake or the Ottawa river would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete