Saturday, May 21, 2016

Fitness

Today's song is: Just Dance


Fitness and strength training is something I have engaged in since I first started working out at 20 years of age. What works well when you are younger may not be so good as you age and your body starts to wear down.  Recent trends and research are suggesting high intensity training for short intervals is better or equal to long sessions in the gym. I tend to agree.

There’s a lot of talk in the exercise world about high intensity interval training (HIIT) lately, which is exactly what it sounds like — alternating episodes of exercise with periods of less intensive activity or recovery. It’s not an new idea, although many gyms, trainers and some experts are touting it as if it’s a new phenomenon. Professional and elite athletes have been using interval training for nearly a century to maintain their peak performance with the least wear and tear on their bodies. And it’s baked in to workouts like SoulCycle, Cross Fit and many group classes at gyms.

from Time Magazine: http://time.com/4311373/interval-training-benefits/

Other, easy to read articles include:

http://www.sciencealert.com/just-1-minute-of-intense-exercise-rivals-the-benefits-of-a-45-minute-workout

http://time.com/4311373/interval-training-benefits/

It certainly looks like the research has gone mainstream :-)

I also drink about 4 cups of strong coffee with a bit of milk and no sugar. The reason I do that is most of the diet pills out there contain large quantities of caffeine to speed up your metabolism. Seems to work.


Initially the running was really, really, really hard, but it is easier now as I have moved from a slog to a run where I can modulate my speed and gait. My 6,000 baht Asics were up to the task and I definitely needed them without the benefits of a cushioned treadmill. The 40 degree heat also did not help much but I imagine it helped melt the fat :-)

What I have leaned from this experience is:

  1. It is easier to stay in shape than get back in shape.
  2. It is easier to put weight on than take it off.
  3. Putting yourself in an environment where it is difficult to cheat is good.
  4. When the results come in quickly it is motivating.
  5. Getting old sucks, but having all your original body parts helps.
  6. Once you hit 60 don't give up, ramp up!
  7. Sex is better when you are in shape.
The other thing I forgot to mention is I have not had an alcoholic drink since I arrived. (maybe 1 :-) and I am drinking 3-5 liters of water a day.

If you need some motivation just watch these 2 video2:



TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment