Friday, May 27, 2016

Last Day in the Village

Today's song is: Homeward Bound .. S & G


Well, I made it, 29 days without wimping out. After my morning run, high on endorphins, I was trying to come up with something I will miss in the village. I thought of one thing, farm fresh eggs. I eat 3 soft boiled eggs every morning for my breakfast. I certainly won't miss the critters and bugs, especially the mosquitoes that have come out in earnest after the rains came.  I should have brought some spray (deet). Even the natives are sleeping under mosquito nets now.

I will pack today. I will package up my 34 inch curved Samsung monitor and stash it away someplace safe out of the dust. Speaking of dust, I decided to clean the air filters on my air-con. I usually do this once a month in Bangkok. Here in the village they were coated thickly with dust and they will have to be cleaned every 2 weeks. There are 2 reasons why Thavorn's family will have problems using the air-con when Thavorn, Jaidan, and I are in Bangkok. Number 1 is remembering to do the maintenance every 2 weeks and number 2 is paying for the electricity it uses (I anticipate 3,000 baht a month for 24/7 use). A third reason is not messing with the remote settings. They have a knack of messing up the refrigerator settings (which are really simple, but in English) and then complaining why their drinks are not cold. I shudder to think how they will mess up the air-con settings which are also in English.

Thavorn went to a 'meet the teacher' morning at her kids' school and the big theme this year is individualized learning combined with more movement and phys'ed in the afternoon. I must think, in their old system that the students must have been nodding off in the pm in non air-conditioned classrooms, especially given the Thai propensity for nodding off at all times of the day.

I showed Thavorn some videos of the Ottawa Catholic School board classrooms and she was astonished at the difference between Thai schools and farang schools. She is starting to understand why Thais not go moon.

Tomorrow morning I will take my backpack with 2 laptops and my gym bag with shoes, clothing, and toiletries and jump on the motorbike with Thavorn and Jaidan to head into Wichian Buri to catch the bus to Bangkok. The next time you hear from me will be from Bangkok.

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. Have a great last day in the village. I bet things will be the same when you return. Same as in just like when you arrived, not left.

    ReplyDelete