Monday, May 9, 2016

Rain at Last - Lots of It

Today's song is: A Better Place  .. by Glen Campbell


I missed a couple of posts due to the suspended ceiling taking 4 days and the electrical work taking 3 days. It is truly amazing the amount of work the electrician did in 3 days and only billed us 1,000 baht or about $35. However, we paid for all the materials. It makes me feel better to look at a real electrical circuit box rather than the crude contraption that was there. I am quite capable of doing all the electrical work myself, but I had no tools, and frankly, at $35 for 3 days, it would be a waste of my time.

I would now consider the 2 relatives that did the suspended ceiling over 5 days to have grossly overcharged, but the 10,000 baht did include the concrete blocks to build up the wall height, the cement, the ceiling tiles, and all suspension cabling, so maybe not, considering there was two of them.

The electrician, however did clean up after himself. He also pointed out the aircon guy used the wrong size of electrical cable and replaced it. Thavorn did try to call the aircon guy but he ended up hanging up on her. I thought he was a great worker but I guess he does not do redo's.

The last two days have featured huge rainstorms lasting 90 mins with buckets of water coming down. I guess it is the start of the rainy season and hopefully the end of the drought, but the drought kept the mosquito population down.

Jabba's live in Lot got drunk as a skunk last night and also left a quart of beer in the freezer which exploded. He has slept all day and missed his work pickup but seems not to be chagrined at all. I think this is a fairly common event.

Jabba's is off gossiping with a sister and considering the roads are a quagmire we may not see her for a while. That much weight on the skinny tires of a 125 cc motorbike would definitely result in Jabba getting stuck. Thoughts of a beached whale flit through my brain as I write this.

Thais always take off their shoes when entering a house. Not sure why, as their feet are often as dirty or dirtier than their shoes. I have had to wash the cushion on my Ikea chair and have now banned all the urchins from sitting on it (actually lounging with their feet up on it) as they make it dirty again in one day.

Some pics:


These two chairs are the same age, I left the right one in the village the past year.


The Thais like to cook on these outdoor barbecue devices as it is cheaper to buy charcoal (brown bag on the right) than propane. Saving the planet?


Urchins at play


Gossiping


New electrical box at upper right, old shit to the left.



Thavorn dressing down in the village


Cooking pork on the barbecue

My running is going okay but I can't say it is easy yet  .. maybe a little bit easier

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment