Friday, September 11, 2015

Weather

Today's song is: Hot Time, Summer in the City - not the Lovin Spoonful (original artists), Not Joe Cocker, but the Eels, 2010 in Melbourne 2010


and the original version, 1996



The weather in Ottawa during my month visit has been wonderful. Matter of fact, I could have been in Bangkok. Many people think Bangkok is too hot. It is interesting to compare the last week in both cities.


http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/canada/ottawa/historic 


http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/thailand/bangkok/historic

As you can see, there is little difference between the 2 cities. However I found most Ottawans were complaining about how hot and humid it was whereas I was quite comfortable.

Last year my visit was 3 weeks and this year it is 4 weeks. I find myself in the wonderful position of having 6 days left with nothing that has to be done. Time for a bit of reflection over a glass or two of red wine.

So what have I observed over the past weeks. Canada is definitely a multicultural country. I am not sure whether that is good or bad, but it seems to work. I find that Canadians are as polite and courteous as ever and I am always pleasantly surprised when a car stops and waves me across the street, which is 99% of the time. Very different than Asia where cars rule and pedestrians suck.

There is way more fun to be had in Thailand than Canada and Thai women have the best welcoming smiles that I have ever seen. Once the Thai men get used to you they too flash you a beautiful smile, but you have to earn it. I have slowly got to know a few motorcycle and taxi drivers that I try to chat with. I also know a few food cart cooks, bar tenders and an ex police officer. I would like to know more but language is a barrier.

So most Thais I know are pretty bar girls or ex bar girls and that is not such a bad thing. My other source of conversation are the many foreign tourists and expats living in Thailand. They all have a story to tell and I am more than willing to listen. Many of them would enjoy their Thai experience more if they too were willing to listen. For example, you really do not want to ride an elephant for an hour. If you don't believe me, go for it. Boring!!!!

I am looking forward to being back in the City of Angels (or was that angles). My friend Shaun will hopefully arrive on September 29th for a week on the far side. Should be fun :-)

TTYL





No comments:

Post a Comment