Friday, September 25, 2015

Another Year in the LOS

Today's song is: Poker Face by Lady Gaga



Thavorn, Jaidan, and I headed off early today to Government Complex #1 - Immigration and Visas. We traveled by GrabTaxi and arrived in about 30 minutes. I had the appropriate form filled out to extend my retirement visa by another year. I also had all the appropriate documentation including a letter from the Canadian Embassy stating I made over 65,000 Baht a month. I had my passport photo and the 4 pages of my passport photocopied. I also had the 1,900 Baht fee.

With form 7 in hand I bypass the help desk (because by now I know the drill) and head for the ladies with the numbered queue vouchers. It is weird that in the LOS (Land of Smiles), there are no smiles in this department. So, I too, put on my poker face and state I am here to renew mt retirement visa. She asks me something in Thai and I nod my head (not understanding a word of it) and I receive my queue number. Shit, #48 - it will be touch and go if I make it out before their noon hour shut down. Yes, they all go to lunch at the same time and shut the works down for an hour.

I suggest to Thavorn we head downstairs for a coffee and so we do. Downstairs is a large open area (not as large as upstairs which has to be the equivalent of 8 soccer fields) and so Jaidan gets to run and we get to sip our lattes in peace. After I finish my coffee I head upstairs to see what number they are at and lo and behold, it is #22. I do the math and sure enough, I may or not make the noon hour feeding period.

I won't hold you in suspense, after 2 hours, I was the last person processed just before 12 noon. I thought great, but I then realized we would be taking a taxi home during the noon hour rush hour and sure enough, the 30 minute ride from this morning was well over an hour at noon hour. You can run, but you can't hide. You get used to waiting in traffic in Bangkok.

Jaidan slept all the way back so no nap for Jimmy or Thavorn this afternoon. Time for another coffee if I am going to read to Jaidan this afternoon without nodding off.

So, the good news is that I am good to go for another year in the City of Angels. 4 days until Shaun arrives. Yippee Kai Yah!!

TTYL


No comments:

Post a Comment