Tuesday, April 7, 2015

You'd Think I'd Learn

Thailand has some pretty liberal booze purchasing laws. You can buy booze pretty well anywhere from grocery stores to 7-11's. However, the gotcha is the hours. You can't buy booze before 11 am, but you can from 11 am to 2 pm, but you can't from 2 pm to 5 pm, but you can from 5 pm to whenever. These times only apply to purchasing bottles. In the local bars, there are no hours ... except for happy hours which we Canadians banned for the politically correct left.

So why the hours? Most Thais can not afford to buy drinks in the bars so mostly tourists buy there. But, somewhere along the way, I presume that Thais were showing up for work with a bottle in hand, or something along those lines. The end result is you can buy a bottle on your lunch break, but not during work hours. Not sure, but suspect that is the reason.

However, you think I can remember the hours? I have to walk at least 20 minutes to where I purchase my wine, etc (7-11's only sell the cheap stuff) and I invariably get there sometime in the afternoon. Happened again today :-)

I watched Duke win their 5th National basketball title today at the Sportsman. Not sure how I feel about that. Wisconsin went up by 9 early in the 2nd half and I never likes that as a coach as there is a tendency to play safe and stop doing what gave you the lead and that is exactly what happened.Credit to Coach K for coaching a great game with a bunch of first year players ... 2 of which will be '1 and Done'.

The game was shown on ASN, the Asian Sports Network. I have since discovered I can sign up for iLikeHD.com and get ASN plus lots of English TV, sports, and movies, plus the usual Thai stuff all for 500 Baht a month for over 600 channels. At this moment my 3 Thai visitors and Thavorn are watching Pee Mak (famous ghost movie) in Thai while I update my blog. All is good ... and no one is bored ... Thais hate to be bored ... me too ...

You can also buy 2 hours for 20 Baht, 3 hours for 30 Baht, or 5 hours for 50 Baht if you just want to cherry pick what you watch. They take PayPal which I prefer to use online in Asia for a variety of reasons.

It's starting to get warm again in Bangkok ... warm being consistently over 35 degrees. Not humid so far :-)

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment