Thursday, January 24, 2019

22 Days to Canada

Today's song is: Girls Like You  .. Maroon 5 .. Superbowl 2019


I don't often see Thavorn really excited when looking forward to future activities but she is now really excited about going to Canada. It has to be a really big deal for a rural village girl to go halfway around the world to a completely different country! I asked her if she was nervous and she said no. I am nervous, worrying about whether or not I have forgotten stuff, misspelled a name on a flight, or other stupid little things which can create havoc in this day and age.

I remember the issues I used to have with Aeroplan.  My legal name is James but I have always gone by gym. So, I created my Aeroplan account many years ago under the name of Jim and had no problems for many years flying in Canada or into the United States. However, when I started to fly into Asia where the person behind the counter was matching names by character rather than by name, I could no longer convince the person than Jim was actually me when my passport stated James.  Be warned.

In this day and age of AI (artificial intelligence) you would think Google would be able to come up with better suggestions for misspelled words.  For example 'staed' does not suggest 'stated'.  It does not give me great confidence in a machine coming up with a medical diagnosis. But then again, you read about doctors amputating the wrong leg, etc., so maybe not so bad.

I read about how the Superbowl game is having a hard time getting performers to perform at half time because of the bleeding heart liberals supporting Colin K, the below average quarterback (IMHO), who started taking a knee, during the national anthem, and ended up without a team to play for. Colin was trying to draw attention to the plight of black Americans in the states. A noble endeavour, for sure, but perhaps the football league was not the forum to use. Now, the football league is being blamed for the countries problems. I am not sure of the cause and effect.  I would have blamed the politicians. The football league has enabled many blacks to move out of poverty into wealth. Ditto for many entertainment industry such as most sports, music, video, etc.

Meanwhile, back home, Jaidan has come down with the stomach flu as well. However he bounced back after 2 days. Must be nice to be young. Thavorn does not seem to catch much of anything due to a strong immune system as she was raised on a dirt floor in the village. Poverty does have one advantage.  Oops, not PC, I apologize  :-)

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment