Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Today's song is: Where Everyone Knows Your Name  .. Cheers Theme Song


My three favorites shows of all time are Mash, Cheers, and All in the Family (no surprise there). Like the bar in Cheers, I have my favorite bars in Bangkok, and Hillary 2 is probably number 1 for me.Why?

First off, there are 3 bands that rotate through, 2 every night. If they are not playing at Hillary 2, then they are playing at Climax, which is also part of the Hillary group that features at least 5 venues that I am aware of.  When I first started visiting Bangkok, Hillary 2 was one of the first bars I discovered.

I know 1 or 2 singers in each band and they always have a nice hello for Jimmy and Thavorn (who they call pretty girl) On any given nigh, Hillary is filled with expats, Thai women (a few men), and farangs passing through on vacation. It is fairly expensive now, at 180 Baht for a beer, and they no longer run tabs (although 2 or 3 waitresses do for me) which is annoying, but at least you do not get surprised by a large bill at the end of the night. By far the cheapest way to spend the night at Hillary (until 2:30 am) is to buy a bottle of whisky at 2,500 Baht and the mix is free. A group of 4 can then get thoroughly pissed and have a great time for about 850 Baht each which is about $30 CDN.

Most of the Thai women will be free lancers who are looking for a farang or working the bar. The one thing they all have in common is that they have come to party hard. The bands take requests and can fulfill most of them well. Summer of 69 is always a popular request., then again Bangkok can be thought of as the 'Endless Summer'.

There are also 3 Brunswick pool tables but be warned, they are challenge tables where the winner stays and the loser pays. I once lasted 5 games, but I was lucky!

Lastly, the final stats are in for SongKran highway carnage and searching for answers:

 http://bit.ly/1T0jH31

Some Hillary pics:







TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment