Friday, April 8, 2016

Countdown - 22

Today's song is: Southern Cross by Crosby Stills and Nash, 2010


I eat a lot of chicken rice in Bangkok as it is boiled and not fried and therefore not fattening. Thavorn, true to her word, made me the bets chicken rice I have eaten in Thailand. The sauce is what gives it the authentic spicy Thai taste. Pic below:


The countdown to village life continues. However, Thavorn's older children are making the most of their stay in our condo and have become fairly proficient at swimming. Not too bad as they could not swim 6 months ago. I am sure they are going to miss Bangkok when they adjourn back to village life but I think their village friends will make up for Bangkok's sights and sounds, not too mention street food and best of all KFC. Thais everywhere love the Colonel's chicken :-)

Here is a map of Thailand's provinces in case you are wondering where Petchabun is.


I programmed a fair bit today and when not programming I swam with Jaidan in the pool and read my current fantasy, Book 3 of the Anthony Ryan Trilogy, Raven's Shadow. Highly recommended! I will have to tote the 3 books home for my sisters to read, but at 800+ pages each, I hope it does not put me over my baggage limit. When I travel to Canada I usually carry 2 laptops in my slim backpack and my clothes in an Oakley (trendy) gym bag. I love Oakley stuff; bags, shirts and shorts.

Tourists visiting Thailand are often concerned about pick pockets and I see them wearing their backpacks on their chest. I have never heard of anyone being picked in Bangkok and found Europe, especially France and Italy to be much worse. I carry my passport, phone and wallet in my Oakley shorts in the thigh pockets which buckle down and I feel their contents are quite safe.

My friend Shaun who is currently teaching in China needs a China break and will visit the April 22nd weekend. That will be my last weekend out in Bangkok for quite some time. We will have to make it a memorable weekend.

TTYL

3 comments:

  1. So save some weight...bring just the first one and if we like it, we can buy the 2nd and 3rd in the trilogy :). With Shaun visiting you at the end of April, are you two going to go off the deep end again? Isn't that rather painful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim's never gone off the deep end when I have visited. I've had a painful headache or two - but not too bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. James is always on his best behavior in Bangkok .. tales from the vodka red bull diaries

    ReplyDelete