Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Countdown - 3 days until village

Today's song is: You are so Beautiful  .. by Joe Cocker in concert 2013  .. RIP 2014


Today, Thavorn called the Isuzu Dealership manager to find out what was happening. We did not expect him to call with bad news so we initiated the call. He was quite apologetic, stating that the person he had dealt with at the finance company had moved on and a new lady was dealing with him. No big deal as he will refund us the 5,000 baht deposit and has all my documentation together for me. What I plan to do is put the 200,000 baht into Thavorn's account and buy some time in the fall. There is no rush. My father always used to say, 'Never shop for groceries when you are hungry, and never shop for a car when you need one or are excited about it!'  He was a wise man :-)

Also today, when I woke up, my Lenovo laptop's keyboard was not functioning properly. The G, H, ESC, Up arrow keys were not working. Not a good situation for a programmer. I was not keen on dealing with the Lenovo service center for the same reason that it requires thinking outside the box. If you buy a Lenovo laptop in Thailand you get the atrocious Thai keyboard that makes the Canadian bi-lingual keyboard look good. Therefore, I had purchased the Lenovo in Singapore. This, in my experience, means that the Lenovo service department will not work on it as it is not on Thai warranty. A lot of the reasons why gets lost in the translation as always.

I read on the internet that many farangs were recommending a repair shop called ProShop Repairs in the IT mall I frequent. So off with laptop in hand I went.  The shop personnel spoke good English but told me they could not work on ThinkPads as Lenovo won't sell their 'business' laptop components to repair shops. I then asked where the Lenovo Service Center was (according to the web there was one) and they told me it no longer existed in the mall but suggested I try the Lenovo dealer down the aisle who may know where the service center moved to. When I got there an older Thai guy took one look at my laptop and said their service department could exchange the keyboard in 1 hour for a cost of 4,100 baht. Considering the laptop cost 90,000 baht just over 2 years ago I said deal.  One hour later everything is good. Sometimes things can be made to work in Thailand when dealing outside the box.

Thavorn's brother just called and apparently a couple that are friends of his are wanting to sell their truck as they can't make the payments now that the wife is pregnant again.. We told him we would take a look at it on the weekend when we are in the village. Maybe karma, maybe not.

Bad karma today on exiting my building I noticed 2 police officers in the office and an ambulance pulling up outside. It appears one of the long term tenants passed away overnight. I hope he died with a smile on his face. I suspect a heart attack as he was overweight and never walked, always took a MC taxi. He always had a smile and hello for us when we saw him.

More bad karma :

Thailand faced with worst drought in decades: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36138475

I will head out Friday night with a good friend to log some memories to help me last the month in the village :-)

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment