Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Village Count Down - 11 Days

Today's song is: Play that Funky Music  .. Wild Cherry  .. so retro 70 ish


It's starting to warm up in Bangkok as summer approaches. Apparently it is even hotter up North in the village. Good thing I purchased the air-con wall unit for our bedroom back in the village. I can handle temperatures in the high thirties as long as I have a cool place to work and sleep at night. I still think it will be a problem finding someone to properly install the unit. If I had the proper tools and instruments I could do it but I don't.  The dropped ceiling should not present a problem.

Toady I headed off to the Isuzu dealer to tell him that I have a Thai person to cosign the purchase of our truck. I try to avoid talking to Thais over the phone as I find their Thai accent makes it difficult for me to understand what they are saying. Thai women sound like men for some reason. I need a cosigner because I am a farang so I do not fall into the usual slots for processing a vehicle sale. Apparently it would have been easier if I was working in Thailand. I think it is because they would have trouble tracking me and the vehicle down because I do not have a Thai ID card. Each Thai gets one when they turn 16 and it has a smart chip as well as a picture on it. It is shown for just about any transaction such as booking into a hotel. Canada should really have one of these cards as well, as it would prevent identity theft and welfare fraud but the PC pundits would argue against it.

After my meeting at the dealership I stopped at Burger King to down some chicken fingers and fries. I think I have mentioned that Bangkok has every fast food outlet in the world. Thavorn and I will try to head out for some music and pool once Jaidan falls asleep. We just ordered a bucket of KFC that will arrive by motorbike at a delivery cost of 40 Bhat. For some reason KFC seems to be the cheapest fast food in Thailand.

The most expensive outlet has to be Starbucks as their pricing seems identical to prices back home but I somehow doubt they are paying their barista's anywhere the same amount of money they pay in Canada. Starbucks must be making a killing here in Thailand. There are at least 10 of them within a 15 minutes walk of where I live.

For those of you who want to know how expensive a country is to eat in you should be aware of the McDonald Hamburger Index. McD's prices their hamburgers according to the standard of living in the country where the Ronald lives. The index is in US$

http://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

Switzerland ($6.44 US) is the most expensive place to chow back on a Big Mac whereas Venezuela ($0.66 US) is the cheapest. Thailand is $3.09 US and Canada is $4.14 US. I may have to go check out Venezuela :-)


Ronald wei's Customers in Bangkok

TTYL




No comments:

Post a Comment