Thursday, April 28, 2016

Repo Man .. Countdown to Village - 2 days

Today's song is: With a Little Help From My Friends .. another Cocker song


I went to the Isuzu dealership today to get my 5,000 baht refund and it will take 3 weeks and I get a check for the amount from Isuzu so I will have to open up a Thai bank account in order to cash it. I have been remiss in opening an account as I do not relish the thought of dealing with Thai banking officials. Of course, being a farang, on a retirement visa, I do not fit in the box. I think it is best to go to Thavorn's bank with her in tow to see what we can accomplish. However, I will put it off until we come back to Bangkok on the 1st of September as we are feeling the pressure of our move on Saturday.

On my way back from the dealership I stopped at Emporium (hi-so mall) to get a bite to eat and noticed that the department store had a 50% May day sale so I bought a twin mattress topper for 4,500 baht, regularly 9,000 baht. This will be what I sleep on in the village under my personal mosquito net, hopefully under our personal air con if we ever manage to get it installed :-) After eating, I shopped for new runners as I am committed to losing about 10 kilos in the village. I will run every morning for 30 days in May and continue in Canada. I bought Asics Kayano 22, a shoe I have bought for the past 7 seven years. The shoes were also on sale 5,500 baht (15% May Day sale). When I got home Thavorn politely reprimanded me for not first coming home to get her 'M" card which gets us another 5% off.

I have been researching the rate of repossession on auto and truck sales in Thailand, and as I suspected, the repo business is booming. Read this from 2014!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-autos-loans-idUSL3N0RO1KF20141002

and this from 2015

http://www.assetfinanceinternational.com/index.php/global-news/asia-pacific/asia-pacific-articles/826-asia-news-in-brief/11283-thai-auto-loan-default-rate-rise

I can't find anything from 2016 for some strange reason :-)

The truck that Thavorn's brother said was available appears to be 3 months behind in payments. From my research, I suspect that a tow truck will be dropping by to pick it up very soon. They do not have to warn you and according to the Thai contract take back the vehicle once you are in arrears of more than one month. One they pick it up, they simply resell it and you are out your investment.  The selling price of repo'd vehicles is deepressed due to the number of vehicles on the market.


A much younger Joe Cocker .. with a Whiter Shade of Pale  .. of the greatest rockers of his time!


TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment