Monday, March 2, 2015

Times are Changing

It looks 'Times are Changing' will be a common title for my blog.

When I first started coming to Thailand in 2010 it was not unusual to walk down a soi (street) and hear 'handsome man ... you want massage' or handsome man ... you buy drink for me'.

Now I know I have aged 5 years and it shows (somewhat) but it is not just me. Nowadays, bar girls and massage girls are too preoccupied with their smartphones to notice anyone walking by. It is not just street activity that is affected. It is everywhere from cops, sales clerks, taxi drivers, etc. Despite being a techie I can't help but think this is bad for society.

Fox News just ran an extra that showed the results of a survey that watched over thousands of families as they interacted (or did not interact) while eating out. 80% immediately pulled out smart phones when they sat down and ignored or scolded their children if they were interrupted. Many parents handed smartphones to their children when finished doing whatever they were doing to enable the children to keep busy playing games.

I don't think this bodes well for society in general.

Thai society is fairly narcissistic as well and selfies are fired off all day to Facebook where they hope to generate likes. Of course, whatever they are eating must also be posted up to facebook! I guess someone cares ... I certainly do not.  t seems like they are crying out for attention.

Perhaps they to had parents who ignored them!

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment