Friday, March 6, 2015

Pork, Pork, and more Pork

Pork is a staple in the Thai diet. I have probably eaten more pork in the last 3 years than I did in the previous 50 years. We buy pork at Big C (think Walmart) and it can be found in big bins and you pick out the various pieces and cuts that you want with tongs, placing the pieces in plastic bags (by cut and bin) and then it gets weighed and priced accordingly.

Most of the time the pork is sliced up and fried in a frying pan. However, many Thais like to cut it into strips and then put outside in the sun to dry and ripen somewhat. Then it goes back into the fridge after about 6-8 hours in the sun and is fried up over the next few days. My Mother would be astonished to see me eating pork this way.


Pork sliced up and the first batch outside being sun kissed :-)


More Pork being prepared for its sun tanning session


Pork hanging out to dry by the mops and perched on the aircon - hygenic?

Another delicacy you will find on the street vendor carts are strange triangular, pieces of something. I finally asked Thavorn what they were and she said pig's ears. Apparently they are right up there in popularity next to chicken feet. Thanks, I pass on pig's ears, chicken feet, and rats :-) ... oh and don't forget bugs. I will need a special post on bugs ... ttyl

No comments:

Post a Comment