Wednesday, March 18, 2015

God's Greatest Gift

God's greatest gift to humankind is a child. Believe it or not, this quote came from John McGrath. The place was Queens Park on Soi 22 and the occasion was Saturday night. I had just explained to John that Thavorn was 1 month pregnant with Jaidan and I asked him his opinion. I was expected some very fine ridicule followed by, 'How could you be so stupid!' and was surprised at his response. For a moment I thought I was speaking to Dick McGrath. I guess apples do not fall far from the tree.

So there I was 63, with a new baby on the way. I seemed to remember that Pierre Elliot Trudeau had children at a later stage in life and a quick Google turned up a daughter at age 76. Of course, Margaret Trudeau was much younger than Pierre (30 years differential) when she married him at 22 years of age after a 4 year courtship.  It appears I was in good company although Thavorn is not 22.

I never really understood the fascination that grandparents have for grandchildren. I soon discovered what it is. When you have children at the normal (whatever that is) age you are fully immersed in your careers. The time you spend in the morning is rushed as you ship them off to some form of daycare and the time at night sees you tired from your days work. I daresay, if you are human, you sometimes resent your children.

However, with Jaidan, I have no job to run off to. I see him each and every minute of the day and I get to watch every minute step in his development. As a psychology major I find it fascinating. I do not second guess myself after raising two wonderful children ... Jaime and Jordan ... They are so successful and talented .. each in their own ways ... each with 2 degrees.

Thais are so conservative in raising their children. I delight in going to the local health clinic and throwing Jaidan up into the air and catching him to the delights of his giggles and the shocked faces of the Thais. I also turn him upside down and give him kisses as he giggles. This is a no no from a Thai perspective as it puts his feet above his head.  I am as politically correct as ever and my Thai partner Thavorn, cringes and tries to hide! Lots of fun :-) Not to worry, there is no Thai equivalent of Children Services waiting to take Jaidan away from the crazy farang.


Me and my shadow are a consistent sight in downtown Bangkok and if I dare go out without him I am consistently queried every 50 feet ... Where Jaidan? ... Where Baby?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how Thais compete in springboard diving with taboo about feet over the head

    ReplyDelete
  2. At that point one must ask which way is up :-)

    ReplyDelete