Saturday, March 7, 2015

Bangkok Birth

Jaidan was born on July 31st in a middle class (if middle class exists in Thailand) Thai hospital. Due to its nature, English is present somewhat but in practice is limited. I became a spectator in the event rather than a participant which is the role back in Canada. That is probably the only negative thing I have to say about the experience.

In Bangkok there are some expensive farang-targetted hospitals such as Bumrungrad Hospital and Samitivej Hospitals that frankly make Canadian hospitals look like Russian proletariat hospitals of the 70's. They cater to international medical tourists and expats living in Bangkok as well as hi-so (high society) Thais.

However, their birth plans started at 50,000 baht (about $1750 at the time) and I could not afford them as I was in the middle of a very costly divorce back in Canada.

A good Thai friend, Trey, suggested I try Kluaynamthai Hospital which was located quite close to where I lived. It turned out to be an excellent choice and the birth of Jaidan turned out to be a very enjoyable experience at a cost of 30,000 baht (about $1,000 at the time).

I was unable to watch the birth but I was booked into the private hospital room where I had a kitchen and could order room service at the press of a button. The food was excellent. I was totally astonished when I pushed the red button and not 1 but 2 beautiful Thai nurses showed up within 5 seconds. hat a change form Canada! The room was also cleaned 3 times a day! I really can't say enough about the 4 start treatment we received.

The room was equipped with an iPad, free wifi and TV as well as a large flat panel display.

The price included all medical and doctor charges as well as 4 days and 3 nights in the room.

Here are some pics.


The washroom belonged in a 5 start hotel


 The 2 white robes were a nice touch.


The rain shower was a great way to refresh after a night's sleep (my own bed)


A great bed for mom and a nice bed for yours truly.


My work area and entertainment center.


The kitchen complete with microwave, kettle, etc.


The end result was Jaidan at 4.5 kg


All in all a great experience with the health care system in a developing country.

No comments:

Post a Comment