Saturday, March 7, 2015

Schools on Soi 22

There are 2 schools on Soi 22 and I have yet to figure out what type of school they are. I think one of them is a private Thai girls school. It appears that the students are quite affluent as they take Tuk Tuks and taxis home after school. They is a fat food industry that has sprung up around this school and they prey on these young girls. many of them are fat or quite chubby. I have been tempted to stop in and talk to the principal about getting all the fat food vendors banned from the soi, but farang opinions are usually not valued by hi-so Thais.

They have a uniform policy, but the uniform varies by the day but they all seem synchronized in what they wear.

Further along the soi is a school that may be public but it puzzles me. It has young boys that appear to be primary aged and has girls up to at least grade 6. They just had some sort of celebration. When you look at the first picture you will see 2 motorcycle drivers (orange vests) who have just dropped a parent off as well as the number of motorcycles choking up the entrance way. Motorcycles are the method of transportation for lo-so Thais so I tend to think this is a public school of some sorts.


It was a real party atmosphere but I am not sure what the celebration was celebrating. I would like to learn more about the Thai school system.



Meanwhile, back in the village Dun and I watch the local school performance.


This is a primary class doing a typical Issan dance routine.

I did get a chance to talk with the principal, who remembered Thavorn as a very good student and visit a couple of classrooms. The classrooms looked very similar to Canadian classrooms but there was no technology present.





No comments:

Post a Comment