Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Windows 10

Today's song is: Sunshine of Your Love  .. Cream 2005


I have lots of time for reflection in Ottawa as I have yet to start work with my business partner. Lately, I have been reflecting on Windows 10. I have quite a few laptops because of my work. I usually retire a computer after 2 years and it becomes an archive and test platform. I have 4 laptops/tablets with windows 10 installed. I also have 3 vmWare images with windows 10 installed.

What perplexes me somewhat is that the 4 versions of Windows 10, despite all having different Win 10 installs/upgrades, all have the same windows login and password, and all share information with one another. I can only guess this is done through windows one drive.

For example, my new Alienware laptop has never been to Canada or to my sister's house, but was able to log into her wifi network without prompting me to do so. My previous development laptop has been to my sister's house and has hooked up with her router. What I think is happening is that Microsoft is pushing my setting up to OneDrive and whenever I log into OneDrive, which is whenever I log into one of those 4 laptops, that info is updated.

Now, from one aspect, this is very convenient, but from another aspect, it is scary that Microsoft has all this information about where and when I hook up to networks and stores my passwords. Now Google has been doing this for quite some time with Google sync which stores all my contacts and enables me to move them to a new device at anytime. However, I get asked if I want to sync my contacts. Microsoft is not asking.

I am a big Microsoft fan and I know Apple does the same and has had info stolen from its cloud. It is important that these cloud providers keep this information secure and that users understand the risks associated with their private data being stored in the cloud and no doubt being mined for information by the Cloud provider.

My morning runs are extremely enjoyable as I run along a path beside the Ottawa River Parkway and temperature is in the low 20's so it is ideal for running. I have picked up the pace as it seems easier without the 40 degree heat. The view is fantastic, especially when the sun is out!

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. You can choose not to use your Onedrive login as you Windows login if you want to have separate passwords for each computer. I don't like that my Windows login is also the same login for my email and OneDrive which I use. Onedrive is not blocked in China on mobile devices.

    ReplyDelete