Saturday, October 17, 2015

Saturday Night

Today's song is: Danny Boy by Celtic Woman  ... thought about John Shannon for some reason today


Thursday turned into an eventful day as Thavorn and I went for a walk to get some glue and duct tape to fix our Ikea chair. The Ikea chairs are usually bullet proof but we often had Tahavorn, Jaidan and myself in the chair and that turned out to be too much. Nothing that some glue and duct tape could not fix however.

On the way home with the glue and duct tape, Thavorn noticed that her belly button jewelry had fallen off. My initial thought was the jewelry was not tightened fully and the locking part had come undone. I decided our best course of action was to jump in a taxi and head back to the studio which had done the piercing and the install.

Bit of a pain in the ass, taxi, MRT, and walk, basically retracing our steps from Wednesday with Jaidan in my arms.

One thing you have to understand is Thailand is Thailand, and 'Thai not go moon' ... for a reason. Nothing is ever straight forward to the Thai mind.

When we arrived at the studio we were faced with a new Thai girl working today. I ask where is the girl from yesterday and was told she took a day holiday. Complication # 1!  Thavorn explained that the piercing and install was done yesterday and that the jewelry fell out less than an hour ago. Without much thought, the girl said come back in a month and pay 1,300 Baht again and they would do it over again. Thavorn said okay (Thai seldom argue or push). When I asked her to translate, you can imagine this farang's reaction and Thavorn, by now, knew what to expect.

I asked Thavorn to tell the girl that solution was crazy and unacceptable and that the shop had messed up, by not tightening the stud, and they should do it again at no cost. I also asked why she could not simply insert a new piece of jewelry as there was no way the hole had healed over in less than an hour. The girl was adamant about coming back in a month for a do over. I told Thavorn to tell her that was not going to happen and to call her manager or boss or owner of the store, which she agreed to do.

I am not privy to the discussion that went on as I do not understand Thai but the end result was the girl went and got a new, nicer piece of jewelry and agreed to try to reinstall it. She disappeared into the piercing room with Thavorn and Thavorn emerged 2 minutes later with a new piece of jewelry shining away in the appropriate spot at no charge. Thavorn had a big smile and for once did not seem embarrassed to have a farang argue with a Thai over whatever.  She is learning the farang sense of right and wrong and just not accepting the wrongness.

Friday was quiet, we went for a walk and that was about it. I continue to swim everyday and Thavorn is learning to jump rope as she can not do hoop until the piercing heals which they tell her is 6 months but in reality is about 3 weeks.

Today is Saturday and we went shopping at Emporium for food for Jaidan and some face and skin cream for Thavorn as she has run out of it.  We were successful on both counts and plan to stay in and watch a movie and get up to date with my blog.  I am also installing the Windows 10 update on my Windows 8.1 Lenova Table to see if it is worth upgrading.  My 2 existing development laptops run Windows 7.0 and 8.1.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment