Friday, July 15, 2016

Audience

Today's song is: You are my Sunshine  .. Johnny Cash


Warning, this post will only be of interest to nerds and geeks with an inquisitive mind ...

I have been puzzled of late with the stats on my viewing audience. France, for some reason hosts the highest numbers of page views. That is sort of unusual IMHO as my blog is in English and we do not see all that many French folks in Thailand. I decided to review the data. This is what it looks like:


Two things immediately jumped out at me. One, the most prominent operating system is Linux but Linux desktops are not very common. Second, the most prominent browser is Safari which is on Apple IOS (MacIntosh), which was way down the list of operating systems.

My conclusion is that someone or some company is running a bot (short for robot) in France on a Linux server. A bot is an automated system that does something on a regular basis such as visit a website. Often the bot will be what is referred to as a headless browser. Headless browsers can pretend to be any type of browser and I think in this case, it masquerades as a safari (Mac) browser.

Now why the bot is interested in my humble blog, is beyond me. I can only conclude that Google surfaces my blog with some keywords that the bot is interested in.

I warned you that this post would only be of interest to geeks and nerds. Any thoughts out there on my conclusion?

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. I've been primarily running Linux as my OS for a couple months. I'm pretty sure I am one of your most regular readers.

    ReplyDelete