Friday, March 4, 2016

Planning for the future

Today's song is: Clean Bandit ... Rather be FT with Jess Glynne


The past 2 weeks have been a wake-up call for me with regards to planning for the future, staying healthy, and contingency plans if needs arise.  My ideal life style is 7 months in Thailand and 5 months in Canada. Of course May - September would be in Canada as they are the best weather months and the worst hot and sticky months in Thailand.

Thavorn and I are planning to live in Bangkok for 7 months and then we would move our stuff to the village and I/Jaidan and me/Jaidan,Thavorn and me would fly to Canada. I would imagine that all 3 of us would go every 3 years and I would be in Canada by myself or perhaps with Jaidan the other two times. Thavorn has 2 children back in the village that she wants to spend more time with and her mom is getting on (in Thai years).

Staying in Ontario for 5 months a year qualifies me for OHIP coverage and my Teacher's extended health will cover me outside the country for about $1,700 a year for the 7 months in Thailand. I would also indulge myself and buy a motorcycle for my time in Canada. To facilitate our moving about in Thailand we will be buying a pickup truck sometime late this summer. Pickup trucks are very useful in the village and can be used to make money in a variety of ways from driving paying passengers to bringing goods to market.

Motorcycles are cheaper in Canada and pickup trucks are cheaper in Thailand. Most of the world's pickup trucks are made in Thailand, as are many motorcycles but large motorcycles get hit with a hefty VAT. I am considering an Isuzu Highlander D-Max.




My back is finally coming around and I can now sit for more than an hour which puts me back on the computer. In the meantime, I have come to rely heavily on my smartphone for info and entertainment. Smartphones have really changed the world.

I can easily get an 8 month lease in Bangkok but I am not sure where I would live for 5 months in Canada. I love camping so that could be an option and the other option is to buy a RV and live out of it while in Ontario. Lots of time to figure this out as the summer of 2017 will be my first test run.

TTYL

2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool video. For an old fart, you are pretty cool! How did you discover them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer in Canada is pretty great.

    ReplyDelete