Sunday, February 28, 2016

View from the Mat

Today's song is: Hurt by Christina


You may have wondered why no posts in over a week (but then again, maybe not) and the reason why is I have been in the land of pain and spent 5 full days prone on a yoga mat on the floor. What started out as an RSI (repetitive strain injury) in my lower back turned into a pinched nerve in my lower left back and the the usual muscle spasms seized me up and I could not walk or sit without a world of pain.

The good news is that I am feeling better and can walk with very little pain and sit for 20 mins at a time with a bit of discomfort. However, Jaidan does not understand why I will not pick him up and why he can't ride around on my shoulders which is his favorite past time.

Thavorn was both concerned and amused. She could relate a little because she had problems with her sciatic nerve when 8 months pregnant with Jaidan. She was amused by the trucker's solution for my need to piss, but did not like emptying the bottle every morning.

Spending 5 days flat on my back on a yoga mat had a few upsides. One, I lost some weight, two, the broke the record for the longest continuous turd when I did manage to sit the ivory throne :-)  and three, lots of time for reflection. I have mentioned before that if you don't have your health, everything else is meaningless.

I myself will head back to the gym as soon as my back allows and I encourage all of you in my generation to do the same. As a wise man once said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I will fill you in on my reflections over the next few days, but at this moment my back is reminding me that it is time to rest.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment