Friday, February 5, 2016

The Mundane

Today's song is: Brown Sugar by the Stones  .. bit of a Stones theme by me lately :-)


Life at times (even in Bangkok) does get a little routine at times, especially with Jaidan at 18 months. There is only so much we can do with him and our social lives are highly restricted. This will change in April when Thavorn's 2 older children Tia and Dun will come stay with us for a month. Tai is now 10 years of age and very good with Jaidan, so once he drops off to sleep around 8 or 9 pm then Thavorn and I will be able to get out and about and have some fun. We are usually only a 15 minutes motorcycle taxi away so we can get home quickly if needed. That is one of the benefits of living in the heart of Bangkok.

The first outing will be to Hillary 2 and Climax which is where Thavorn and I first explored our relationship. The band members (4 bands) have not seen Thavorn and I out together for about 2 years and I think they will be surprised to see us still together.

Glasses (eye) have been driving me crazy as I have been using my relatively new single focus (reading) for my reading and computer work. I am constantly losing them as I take them off and put them someplace safe where Jaidan can not get to them. I also push them down my nose to look over them and they invariably fall off. My distance vision which was always perfect is now being affected by old man time. It was time to get some multi-focus lens and new frames. These new glasses will be on 90% of the time so I also got the auto-sensing sun glass feature as well as many Thais develop cataracts due to the strong sunlight.


I chose a relatively expensive pair of frames that hug my head and do not fall off. I also wanted them to be able to fit in a motorcycle helmet. I went with a Porsche design that met all my criteria but they were 15,000 baht, but what the heck, they are going to on 90% of the time!

I also went with state of the art lenses that are quite thin and light but hellishly expensive at 30,000 Baht, but what the heck, they are on 90% of the time. I will be able to see far and also not have to hunt for my glasses when Thavorn brings her phone over and asks, 'What does this mean?'. Bonus, they also server as my sunglasses!

The other item I purchased recently was a ChromeCast dongle as Jaidan really likes to watch Cartoons on YouTube and I got fed up with changing and searching for the appropriate cable to hook a smart phone, or computer up to the television. ChromeCast is convenient because it hands the streaming off to the dongle and frees up the computer or smart phone to do something else, or in the case of the smart phone, leave the apartment.  Highly recommended, but perhaps you are aware of it as it has been out for 2 years.


http://www.androidcentral.com/chromecast

Thais eat just about anything, and here is a delicacy from Thavorns home province of Phetchabun.


They are not what they look like. They are a fruit and look even more like what you though when they are peeled. Apparently they go well with Rat :-)

Here are a few pics from our daily life:


Jaidan and Thavorn saying bye, bye Papa


Jaidan in his corner of the universe


Oops, something to explore .. why is Papa taking my picture?


Rock Star wannabee


And, finally, Thai food can really create gas from time to time, especially when eaten with copious amounts of beer. This remarkable traditional Thai herb remedy available at all 7/11 stores for 20 Baht is better than anything available in Canada at any price. Highly recommended. 

TTYL


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, a blast from the past! Good choice! Do you know where they were playing? Looks like somewhere in the US of A.

    ReplyDelete