Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Motorcycles

Today's song is by Steppenwolf, Born to be Wild, from the movie Easy Rider


I have been addicted to motorcycles since I turned 18 and bought a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R. I lasted about a month before I crashed it, but it was rebuilt and I used it all summer until it was stolen one cold Autumn night while I was flipping hamburgers at Harveys.


I lasted until 1972 when I purchased a Norton Hi-Rider. Kind of a ridiculous looking bike and was subject to speed wobbles due to the High bars and upright seating position. I sold it a year later to a young lad from Quebec.


I lasted until 1975 when Norton started running these adds. Best motorcycle ads ever:


I ended up purchasing a red Norton 850 which I kept and enjoyed for many years.


I sold it about 1985 because I needed some cash. Big mistake, it was a great motorcycle! I lasted until 1988 when I purchased a Honda 650 NT. Once again, a great motorcycle, and I rode it for many years until I sold it because I needed some cash as I now had 2 children in sports.


My Dad passed away in 2006 and left me some money and I had always wanted a 4 cylinder crotch rocket so I sprung for a 2006 FZ1 that had a top speed of 275 km. I confirmed this top speed a number of times. This motorcycle was capable of breaking all known speed limits in 1st gear as it topped out at 140 kms in first! It would also wheelie at over 120 kms in 3rd. Lots of fun! I kept that bike until divorce lawyer fees forced me to sell it in 2014.


If you have not seen the 1969 Easy Rider movie find it online. It was Jack Nicholson's breakout movie.  This has been my motorcycle trip down memory lane. I am currently looking at downsizing to a 2016 330 cc Yamaha Mt-03. I must be getting old :-)


Kind of reminds me of my 2006 1000 cc FZ1, but only has a top speed of about 180 kms.

TTYL










No comments:

Post a Comment