Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Monday, Monday

Kind of reminds me of the song by the Momma's and the Poppa's. I don't think I have any of their songs on my favourite's list. However I think Steppenwolf's 'Born to be Wild" is fitting today.


It was 1969 and I was 19 year's old with a 69 Triumph 650 and a gf with the biggest jugs this side of silicon valley. Easy Rider was a hit movie and I rode my bike with Jugs on the back to go see it. Life was good!

Thavorn, Jaidan and I headed out about 4:30 pm to rendezvous for a couple of vodka and orange juices and a chat with the staff who had not seen Jaidan for about 10 days and needed a Jaidan fix. After an hour or so we headed off to Soi Cowboy to sit at Country Road and watch the bar girls start to arrive for their first performance at 7 pm.

Country Road affords a good view of the comings and goings of bar girls as it sits at the BTS (SkyTrain) and MRT (Subway) end of Soi Cowboy. We ordered a couple of Singha's and Jaidan drank down his grape juice to keep up his fluid intake in the heat. After about 15 mins, Thavorn got bored (bar girls not as appealing to her) and headed inside to play pool with the best pool girl (actually 55 years of age) employed at Country Road. Pool is 20 baht (60 cents) a game and usually the loser pays unless you are playing staff. Thavorn lost the first game and the third but ended up winning 4 games to 2. Not bad for my protege who had never played pool before she met me. We now usually split our games against one another.

After an hour, I ventured inside to listen to the band that started up about 6:30. Jaidan, who had fallen asleep woke up and he always likes to listen to the music. Of course most of the band knows him and says hello. Many of the bar staff try to take Jaidan from me, but tonight he wished to stay put with Poppa for some reason. As it turns out, he was coming down with something and we were up all night with his fever. We left Country Road about 8:30 pm and caught a taxi home to put Jaidan in bed by 9 pm.

The best thing about Bangkok is there is always something to do, no matter your appetite or budget. Anyone into middle age, never mind old age, will find it difficult to find a social life in Canada unless you are into the Tim Horto's coffee club in the mornings. I have my choice of well over 50 bars within walking distance where I never feel out of place and always feel welcomed. Life is more than good!

It is much easier raising Jaidan because I do not have to worry about getting up the next morning and going to work. We end up sleeping when he does. Not a bad life.

I programmed a bit this morning and had a couple of glasses of Red Label. Not sure if that makes me an alcoholic but it does amuse me while I program. I put some tunes on and it's party time o the key board.

TTYL,

Jimmy






No comments:

Post a Comment