Monday, February 3, 2020

Raing Black Embers

Today's song is: Stronger ... Clean Bandit


I woke up to a polluted sky reminiscent to what I see in Bangkok daily. I went for my morning walk around the artificial lake and noticed the sky was full of black embers, drifting slowly to the ground. The farmers are burning their fields all over Thailand as their crops are harvested. Of course, like many things in Thailand, like speeding and prostitution, the law is seldom enforced.

I would guess the field that is burning is many kilometers for where I am. Of course evidence in Thavorn's village is easy to find as I constantly see fields burning.


Above field in the village


Black embers on the ground


Of course this is not unique to Thailand. It is happening all over Asia and S.E. Asia. Compounded with cooking by charcoal or gas, there is no wonder there is pollution and global warming.

CO2 emissions seem to be the end all when it comes to global warming. I say again, you can't count on many countries to report truthfully. What I see on the ground in Thailand does not correlate with their rankings.



Canada always come out looking bad. Population 30 million vs 78 million for Thailand. Canada produces most of its electricity fro Nuclear and Hydro. Thailand, from Coal and oil. I see way more manufacturing in Thailand than I see in Canada. I can trust the Canadian government to report correctly. Cars in Canada have catalytic converters and are relatively new. Canada has 3 minute idling laws. In Thailand, cars are older, mufflers replace with non catalytic mufflers, and Thais sleep in their cars with the aircon on for an hour at a time. Most Canadians cook with electricity. Most Thais cook with propane , charcoal, or wood. Does all this factor into reporting?

I have the same reflection on all of the S.E. Asian countries I have visited except for Singapore.

Somehow the pristine blue sky of Canada does not jive with my concept of global warming and pollution.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment