Tuesday, April 2, 2019

45 Days in Canada

Today's post is: Timber  .. Pitbull


We are 45 days into Canada and things are going quite well. Everyone is happy and I tend to think the internet plays a huge part in that. As I type this entry in my blog, Thavorn is on her phone talking to her mom on LINE and has been for the past 30 minutes. She also talks with friends and other members of her family, most importantly her children.


Thavorn chatting with her mom

I suspect she talks more to her family and friends than I do to my family and friends who are here in Ottawa with me. Go figure. When I am in Thailand, many of my expat friends ask if I miss my friends back home. Truth be told, back home, you are lucky to see your friends once a month, whereas in Thailand it would be once a week for a night out. Just more fun in Thailand.

Today, my sister Elaine will drop by for lunch (that Thavorn is cooking up Thai style) and also to drop off my OHIP card and Thavorn's PR (Permanent Resident) card that was so difficult to obtain. Now that she has it, she can come and go as she pleases as long as she spends 2 of the next 5 years in Canada. After that she can apply for a new card which is a rubber stamp if she has done her 2 years.

However, the plan is to apply for Canadian Citizenship once she has accumulated 3 years in Canada and then she has identical rights to Jaidan and myself.

As I have mentioned before, the big decision is how much time to spend in Canada vs Thailand.  Our options are:

1. Full time in Canada
2. 6 months in Canada and 6 in Thailand.
3. 9 months in Canada and 3 months in Thailand.

Option #2 requires home schooling for Jaidan. Options #1 and 3 will mean that Jaidan attends school in Canada and we buy a car and put more roots into Canada.  All 3 options satisfy OHIP and Permanent Residency for Life insurance requirements.

Of course, Thavorn can travel to Thailand a bit earlier than Jaidan and I if she so desires, as long as she spends 6 months plus a day in Canada.

I have yet to meet with many of my friends and I plan to do so over the next month.

TTYL




No comments:

Post a Comment