Sunday, December 30, 2018

Village Camping

Today's song is: Celebrate .. Kool and the Gang


Staying in the village is very similar to a camping experience back home in Canada. We have even taken to camping in my man cave because it beats sleeping under a mosquito net and I am more confident that it is scorpion proof.


Safe sleep inside

As usual, the village house is quite dirty and cleanliness is not a priority to the village folks I have come to know. A funny aside  .. as we drove down the deadly highways some enterprising Thais were selling flower amulets to protect the vehicle on its drive. I casually mentioned that the Thai highways are the second most deadly in the world so the amulets do not seem to work well. That logic was lost on them  .. all the more reason to buy some good fortune.  Have I mentioned that they are lottery addicts?


Thavorn and family preparing another Thai feast

There is a wedding in the village tomorrow night as well as another young male going into monkshood for a while. This period is often as short as one month but whatever it takes to get out of military service. Seems like a big deal for one month.

Tonight, starting at 8 pm is the local schools New Year's performance which occurs on the 30th instead of the 31st as they want a sober audience and definitely not hungover.

I have yet to go for a run or exercise, although I am watching what I eat and have yet to have a drink despite being encourage by the Thai males present to imbibe some rot gut Thai whisky. You have to be pretty hard up to drink that shit, albeit, it is very inexpensive.

I have been engaged in programming a basketball score clock to keep my mind engaged and I have enjoyed it as I have done very little Canvas graphics programming so there is lots to learn.

So I can easily see myself enjoying (nit noi) my short stay in the village over this new year.

Bell, Rogers, Telus, and Shaw should be ashamed of themselves as well as our Governments, present and past  .. I am enjoying a 100 MBS download and 30 MBS upload, with no caps (Fibre) for the small sum of 800 Baht a month ($30). If a developing country can do this ... WTF  .. I also get 30 MBS down and 10 MBS upon my phone for 2,000 baht or about $70 and month. There is a cap of 75 gigs a month but the equivalent plan in Canada is about $400 a month. Thailand is also rolling out 5G early in the new year so things are going to get even better and also cheaper. Competition is great and Canada has allowed its telecom giants a monopoly for much too long!!!


Meanwhile back in Bangkok


You can buy a winter jackt of sorts in Bangkok










My night out Harvey (on the right) and American, British, and Australian friend


Even the BTS trains get decked out

BTW, if I don't get a post in tomorrow, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

TTYL


No comments:

Post a Comment