Friday, December 14, 2018

Mouton Cadet

Today's song is: Honky Tonk Women  .. the Stones


It is time for a celebration a couple of times over.  Basketball is done for 2018 (games, not practices), Christmas is drawing nigh, and the vast majority of my software rewrite is done.  My buddy John asked me to stop by his office if I had time and when I did, he gifted me with a bottle of red wine for Christmas and here I sit, sipping away, unable to wait for Christmas as Mouton cadet is my favorite wine. This particular bottle is of 2014 vintage, a very fine year :-)


It has been quite the grind of 10 hour days to get the software rewrite done. The app is comparable to Expedia's app in complexity and there is only just little old me as a coder whereas I am sure Expedia has about 50 code-smiths working on their app.  I don't think many people realize how efficient I am at coding as I have been doing it since 1979 in many languages.  A polyglot I am for sure.

Now it is up to my business partner Brent to test the software and send the bugs/fixes to me in a timely manor.  That should keep him busy for about 20 hours.  It took me about 250 hours for the rewrite with about 150 hours over the past 2 weeks.  Throw in basketball practices and some games and I am ready for a walk on the dark side (in search of some honky tonk Thai women) as soon as my English buddy Harvey arrives on December 25th.

BTW, the software rewrite was a Workshop registration and tracking system deployed with a very large school board in Ontario. It has been in production for about 10 years with about 13,000 users and over 150,000 workshop registrations for 8,700 workshops. It is a major app.

We host our servers on the AWS cloud and store our data in a mySQL database.

Besides being the only coder, I am the server guy, the database DB guy, the cloud expert, and the software architect.

So the plan is a few nights on the dark-side around the 25-27, travel to the village on the 28th to join Thavorn and Jaidan, and then back to Bangkok in early January. We then have a month to prepare for our 6 month trip to Canada, leaving on February the 17th. What an adventure that will be! :-)

TTYL

2 comments:

  1. You better be good or Santa won't bring you anything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to the Dales. I have a another lemonade enhancer (or more, if you like blueberry) before you leave.

    ReplyDelete