Sunday, January 3, 2016

Nature on your Doorstep

Today's song is: Eight Miles High by the Byrds ...


There is one very big advantage to living in a Thai village that resembles those that Rambo attacked with his bow and arrow in the hopes of freeing American soldiers MIA. Nature is on your doorstep.

Jaidan terrorizes the chickens, hens, and roosters, chasing them all over the place. I even recognize a Rhode Island hen, thanks to Miss Moore, my grade 3 teacher at Fisher Heights Public School in Ottawa.

Today was special as Jordan and I joined a small herd of 20 buffalo as they moved from one pasture to another. I had him on my shoulders as the buffalo did not seem keen on walking a straight line from one pasture to another, although they did follow the road. Jaidan was impressed with how big they were until ...

10 minutes later when an elephant came strolling down the road complete with mahout on top. A Thai in front was selling 20 baht bags of sugar cane so I bought a couple and back up on my shoulders went Jaidan. I passed up a length of sugar cane and I am sure Jaidan was just below the elephants eye level as up came the trunk and picked the sugarcane out of Jaidan's hand. I wish I could have seen his face or better yet had taken a picture, but it is hard to do that and hang onto Jaidan, and the bag of sugar cane and get the phone out of my knee pocket in my shorts.

Thavorn managed to get a pic of the elephant sent to her from a cousin.


I had way too much sugarcane, so after the elephant plucked the 3rd piece form Jaidan's hand, I passed the rest out to the Thai children who were all following the elephant down the road. Smiles all around ...

Elephants are banned within Bangkok city limits as I guess, from time to time, they caused some problems. Your truly has ridden an elephant through the jungle for an hour but, frankly, after 10 minutes, it is pretty boring.

So far, I have yet to see a live rat or live snake  .. just on the dinner plate :-)

TTYL

1 comment: