Saturday, January 16, 2016

A Typical Day

Today's song is: Hockey Night Tonight .. by Stompin Tom


I thought I would describe today to you .. it was pretty typical.

I got out of bed about 7 am when Jaidan started stirring in his crib. I changed his diaper and made him a juice, leaving Thavorn to sleep peacefully for a while. Jaidan and I went into the living area and I put the kettle on for coffee and turned on CNN for the latest news. I also put one slice of bread into the toaster to eat with peanut butter. After my coffee and toast I cut up some melon (orange and green) and heated up a chicken leg, in the microwave for Jaidan, that I had picked up a night ago.

After about an hour, Thavorn woke up and she cuddled with Jaidan and I made her a coffee. About an hour later, Thavorn's phone rang, and her ex boss was coming over with some Life insurance papers that she is trying to sell us. I am not adverse to buying life insurance for Thavorn but I am waiting until the Canadian dollar goes back above 27 baht. That could be a while :-) After about 90 minutes we were once again alone and w decided we had to head out to Big C as Jaidan needed some diapers and formula.

After about another hour we were ready to go and caught a taxi to Big C. We no longer walk as Jaidan is simply too heavy (about 18 kilos) and it is just not fun for me. We were in and out of Big C in about 60 mins and headed back home by taxi as Jaidan was in a grouchy mood, probably because of his cold and cough. He is very congested.

Once home again, Jaidan went for a nap and I decided to learn some more about Linux. There is a big push in the US to teach programming and server management and Linux is free so it is gaining in popularity. I had been using Linux Mint but found I did not like it and decided to download Lubuntu (15.10) which is a light and fast version of Ubuntu, one of the leading distros. I installed it into a vmWare and then added Lazarus, a Pascal programming IDE I like, as well as Nginx, a web server that is rapidly gaining market share that I wished to learn. This was all 2 steps forward and one step back and I finally had everything working by 8pm. Just a day in the life of a techie.

However because it is a vmWare image I can now push it up to Amazon's EC2 Cloud servers and use it there as I plan to migrate from Windows 2008 servers to Linux servers, one server at a time as they are much cheaper to operate as I do not have to pay Microsoft for the OS.

Here is a recent quote on Linux:

Linux Is Everywhere. Now There’s A Plan to Make It for Everyone.

Linux is everywhere these days. It runs our phones, the web servers that underpin everything from Facebook to Google, even our cars. That means there’s a bigger demand for people who know how to work with the operating system than ever before, and those jobs often pay good money.

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit that not only helps maintain and develop core parts of the Linux operating system but also provides education and certification to information professionals who manage Linux servers. Today the organization announced The Extended Learning Linux Foundation Scholarship Program, an educational initiative aimed at helping people from disadvantaged backgrounds gain the skills they need to start careers in information technology.

Most importantly, the first course, Intro to Linux, assumes little to no computer literacy.
Eventually the Linux Foundation hopes to expand its scholarship program throughout the world, but it will start in Austin, Texas, through a partnership with job training and placement organization Goodwill Central Texas. The scholarships will be available to students at Goodwill Excel Center, a public charter school in Austin for adults seeking to complete their high school diplomas, and the Goodwill Career and Technical Academy.

Under the scholarship program, the Linux Foundation will offer eligible Goodwill students access to the organization’s Intro to Linux and Essentials of System Administration courses, as well as allow students to take its Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator exam, all free—just like the operating system itself.

I know that a lot of what I talked about is Greek to most of you  .. but my techie friends will enjoy today's post.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment