Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Relection

Today's song is: Don't Cry for Me  .. by Sinead O'Connor  .. a good song if you are into the Scotch


and if you like it you will like Molly Malone


It is that time of year to reflect on the impact we have had on the world. Perhaps you indulge or perhaps not, but I do. I figure if you are not making a difference in someone's life other than your own then you are simply a waste of space and resources in this world we live in.

Sometime, companies seem to get it right. I just received this advert online from Cloud9 .. a company that provides programming IDE's online as well as hosting projects.  Here is the add:

Now, I am not so naive to think this is not a marketing ploy but I also feel, it is a marketing ploy with a conscience and a desire to facilitate making a difference in someone's life.

I have no firm stats but I would estimate that about 50,000 people will have come in contact with software that I have written. Everyone from students, teachers, education administration both in Canada and internationally, conference administrators and attendees, and others over the 30 years of software development. Has it made the world a better place or made someone's job easier, or perhaps possible? I hope so, and in many case I know so.  I would estimate my average hourly salary earned coding is about $2 an hour, so why do I do it. Why does a starving artist paint, or an author write. 

Programming is the only art form that fights back! .. don't know who coined this, but it is so true.

I treated myself to a couple of bottles of Scotch today. Dewars White label at 650 baht for every day holiday consumption and Crown Royal (12 years) at 1,699 baht to take home to the village for a toast on New Year's Eve. Thai people in the village do not appreciate fine wine or champagne, only whisky, and they really like a good whisky when they get a chance to taste it, which is only when Jimmy comes to the village. Last New Year's it was Canadian Club so I one-upped it this year to Crown Royal. Mind you, I could have bought 3 bottle of Dewars for the same price and everyone would get blotto and have a great time.  Tough decision :-) but they will be into the 35 baht a bottle Thai whisky which really has to be tasted to believe. Makes Tequila taste yummy, but has the same effect, perhaps a little worse.

I have finally embraced Windows 10 and converted over my two Windows 8.1 computers but left my Windows 7 computer as is. This is also the year I moved my one server from a downtown TORONTO location to Amazon's cloud. I now have 3 servers for less than price of one in Toronto and they are faster.  I continue to use Google's Blogger because it is free and does a good job for me. It was a good year for technology in 2015.

Jaidan became very proficient at walking in 2015 and is now running at a fair clip at 16 months of age. He understands a lot of Thai and English and talks up a storm but neither Thavorn or myself have a clue about what he is saying. Much like my son Jordan when he was a toddler.

Thavorn and I still get along great and never argue. She is starting to move away form, 'Up to You', but still my happiness more important than hers. Such a change from Farangland. The Thai way of life is antithetical to farang women and their beliefs but that does not deter farand women from visiting Thailand in greater than ever numbers. Not so sure this trend is good for the bar scene in Bangkok.

The army is doing a good job of running the country and it has had zero impact on my life in Thailand. My Dad always said a benevolent dictator was the best form of government and he may have had it right.  Speaking of my Dad, I still miss my Dad and Mom and also miss my sisters back in Canada. My two older children are both busy developing their careers and I am still not sure how they feel about my divorce as they never want to discuss it.  The divorce was finalized in 2015, and now and I am free to be me, whatever that means :-)

TTYL


No comments:

Post a Comment