Tuesday, December 22, 2015

New Monitor

Today's song is: Talk Dirty  .. Jason Derulo


Today I went out and purchase a Samsung UHD 34" monitor with a resolution of 3440 x 1440 Ultra WQHD which means lots of open windows, which means improved productivity for a programmer like me. It is expensive at $1,000 CDN and I am not sure I would purchase it for personal use but I can certainly justify it as a business expense as it is very ergonomic and will increase my productivity. Easy on the eyes and neck.  It has a curved screen like some of the new Televisions. I decided not to go with 4K HD after reading reviews on many of those monitors.

Couple of pics of my work area:


Overall area ..


The monitor with programming environment open ..

My existing laptop is over 2 years old now but is capable of driving the monitor albeit at 50 MHZ. My new laptop which arrives in the first week of January has a display port and will drive the monitor at 60 MHZ.  More MHZ is better as it is perceived as a more stable image, not that I find 50 MHZ bad.

The ergonomics are great as I can move the monitor vertically on its stand and keep it at eye level despite my chair height.

Today, one of Thavorn's cousins is visiting with 2 of her children. Looks like they will be staying overnight. Her cousin is 3 months pregnant with her 5th child but still has the typical slim Thai figure. I am not sure they can pull that off after 4 or 5 children but Thavorn does as well.

I am looking forward to Christmas dinner on the 25th at the Novotel hotel. All the turkey you can eat with the trimmings and the booze is free flow as usual with special dinners in Bangkok. They don't have the LCBO looking over their shoulders :-)

TTYL

2 comments:

  1. I really like your monitor set up; the pictures you posted of your work station look incredible and I'm very jealous! Equally, as a slight computer novice, I'm grateful for the way your article explains more complex terminology like the differences between 50/60MHz, and your comments on the ergonomics of the monitor. When I am in the market for new computer equipment I will definitely consider a Samsung UHD!

    ReplyDelete