Monday, January 27, 2020

Curiosity and the Village

Today's song is: Village People  ... Times Square


Against my better judgement, I decide to book some time in the village from January 26 to Feb 3rd. Thavorn needed to say her goodbyes to Dun and Jabba as she will be gone from Thailand for 18 months. I was also a little bit curious to see if the village and Thavorn's family life had changed.

As it turns out, the only change I perceive in the 2 years I have been gone from the village is the plot of land we plot is now covered by 30 truckloads of dirt and has been surveyed to protect our interests.

Thavorn's family is as messy as ever, dust is everywhere and spider webs are the house's primary decor.

We open Jaidan's box of toys to find that Thavorn's brother had stolen half of them and his kids had broken some of the remaining toys. I really dislike Thavorn's brother and I have decided he is a worthless piece if flesh. I still remember loaning Jabba 30,000 baht to pay for his surgery after his GF's father shot him for impregnating his daughter. If I had a gun I would be tempted as well. I doubt if he will show his face for the 8 days we are there.

However, I may find it hard to stay here 6 more days. Sleeping until a mosquito net on a hard rock mattress is not my cup of tea.

Jabba continues to eat everything in sight. She is grossly fat for a reason. She eats at least 5-7 times the amount f food I eat in a day. That and absolutely no exercise may mean she has not much more time on this earth.

However, now that I think about it there is nothing to do in the village but eat and drink Thai whisky. Village Thais do not exercise as they complain it is too hot to walk. They fire up their 125 cc motorcycle to visit a friend 50 meters down the street. The other major activities of the day are gossiping in the morning and sleeping the afternoon.

The live-in boyfriend works when he can find it and starts drinking Thai whisky on Friday night and sleeps it off on Sunday.

Every morning at 5:30 am the music starts playing on the speakers around the village, followed by the head man reading the news. Followed by another 30 minutes of Thai music.

So life goes on in the village. I could not do it day in and day out, but if that is all you know then perhaps I could. No wonder the Thai elite want to keep them uneducated and poor. Only the bar girls back for a visit have a smart phone.

Some pics of the mess they jettison around the house.











Jaidan and his older (7 years old) village GF



Sleeping under a mosquito net


TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment