Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Sometimes Good Things happen

Today's song is: Happy  .. by Williams


I bought an expensive 34 inch Samsung Curved monitor in December of 2015 for my programming needs. I am much more productive when I don't have to move Windows around the screen and can see 3 or 4 windows at the same time plus 2 virtual machines plus my laptop screen.  That monitor died about 1 month ago and I replaced it with a smaller much cheaper monitor.

I had some time and finally found a copy of the sales receipt plus the invoice as well as the warrantee card and lo and behold, the monitor was warranted for 3 years and I had 2 months remaining on the warranty.

The only problem is the monitor is large and heavy and I do not have a car and the service depot is in the city center and I have been leery of dealing with Samsung Service centers in the past. I also remember when I tried to register the warranty when I bought the monitor I was not successful on their website. I envisioned carting the monitor downtown and back to no avail plus  800 baht charges for taxis.

So I tried calling the service center but was not able to trigger the English response buy saying English, so I enlisted Thavorn who understood the Tinglish instructions to press nine for English as well.

So I got someone who spoke Tinglish but soon got frustrated and told the rep that my Thai wife would explain my problem and back and forth we went until we convince him the monitor was very large and they should treat it like one of their large TV screens and come fix it onsite.  They finally agreed and arrived today after calling me twice on my phone despite my giving them Thavorn's phone number to call. I ended up texting them Thavorn's number and they called her for directions of how to find our apartment.  You would think service techs would know how to use Google maps.

I was coaching bball when they took my monitor apart and decided they could not fix it and gave me a brand new replacement monitor. They accepted my photocopy of the receipt and invoice and did not demand the original which probably would have faded into nothing readable by now.

So, I am the proud owner of 2 good monitors, one of which is too large to take to Canada and the other being able to fit in my suitcase so I will take it for my 6 months in Canada and store the larger monitor in Thailand until I return in 6 months.

Good things can happen even in Tinglish and Thailand to a farang abroad if he is married to a good Thai woman  :-)

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment