Monday, June 12, 2017

Walkabout

Today's song is: Walkabout  .. Peppers


The Aussies had it right, at least Crocodile Dundee, when they go out on a walkabout to discover whatever. I guess our western world would consider a 'gap' year would be something similar, a time of discovery.

I indulge in walkabouts daily. Jaidan and I take a motorbike taxi to his school, but I always walk back. Thavorn and I choose to walk whenever possible, despite the 35 degree heat. We enjoy chatting with the Thai people along the way. They are often bored and like the chance to indulge in a little small talk.

As I head out of the lane I live on I encounter the lady who cooks with the spice that always makes me sneeze. A smile and swadee cup and then I say hello to the lady who runs the vegetable stand, and then after a wave to the motorcycle taxi drivers. I turn turn the corner onto Soi 22 and pass by the two mom and pop stores that sell everything a Thai person needs on a daily basis. This could be a beer or a package of charcoal, or a pack of cigarettes. I always say hello to an older man who reminds me of my Dad. He operates a shuttle truck, ferrying students to and from their school. The rest of the time he sits and watches life pass by.

I continue up the Soi and my next hello is the strange lady who runs a BBQ chicken cart and entertains various farangs who seem to enjoy her food and company. Every now and again she disappears for a weekend with one of them. She works very hard and seldom misses a day.

I continue up the Soi and say hello to a security guard who always wants to practice a new English phrase he has learned. I then pass the first massage shop and have to explain where I am going and where Jaidan is. I then start to approach the more upscale part of Soi 22 and say hello to the young man that stands outside the Indian restaurant for 15 hours a day. He no longer asks me if I want some Indian food but he always has a cheerful smile for me. Maybe one day I will indulge and go inside and eat.

Next up are a few carts where I say hello to the families running them and then I approach Queens Park Plaza and pass by a young couple who seem to run the best food cart. They also put in 15 hour days and are always smiling. I pass Rumors Bar (24 hour bar), exchanging swadees and then I wave hello to the ladies working a legit massage shop and proceed down the Soi past 2 more massage shops, sometimes stopping to chat with the ladies but mostly just exchanging pleasantries.

Last up on my Soi 22 walk are about 5 beer bars on my left and I smile and chat with some of the ladies. As I enter onto Sukhumvit, it is more of the same.

If I was to take a motorcycle taxi, or even ride a bicycle I would miss out on all that interaction. You definitely get a feel for the vibe of the street that changes from season to season but is remarkably constant from day to day. Walking is definitely the best method to learn about a city, a country, and the people who make up the country.

I see so many tourists who seem afraid to interact with the locals. I used to be one, so I understand, but you really have to interact.  Go for a walk and begin the journey.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment