Saturday, June 10, 2017

Irresponsible?

Today's song is: Born to be Wild  .. Steppenwolf


Every weekday morning I walk up the street with Jaidan to get on a motorcycle taxi to take us to his nursery school. We could walk but then Jaidan would be hot and sweaty to stat off his day. So after propping and high-five the motorcycle taxi drivers waiting for fares, we climb aboard the first in line, without helmets with Jaidan sandwiched between the driver and me. This is quite commonplace and I would even go as far to say the norm in Bangkok.

We pull out into Soi 22 which is usually quite busy. Of course there is no traffic light, stop sign, or yield sign. We play you go, I go and eventually repeat the procedure a few more time before arriving at our destination.

Back in Canada I would be considered a very irresponsible parent. However, when in Rome  .. Bangkok seems to make the unworkable work. Can you imagine a city of 10 million people without any stops signs? The traffic lights are unusual as well. The wait time between red and green is often 5 minutes. Back in Canada, it is about 30 seconds. I can only guess the long wait is to decrease the number of drivers that scoot through illegally on the change from yellow to red. There are traffic cops but they only work in blitzes with a team of about 10 officers. I see a blitz about once a month.

I have witnessed one motorcycle accident in 5 years and I can't recall seeing any car accidents in the city. The traffic congestion tends to keep the speed down, except for the kamikaze young Thai males running their 125 motorbikes flat out while smoking and texting at the same time.

However, out on the rural highways it is traffic accident carnage as usual.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment