Monday, May 4, 2015

Cheap Air Travel

Air travel in South East Asia is much less expensive than in North America. The reasons for this are the cheap labor costs for air crew and cabin crew. Unions in the North American Air Industry have resulted in more expensive air fares. The service on low cost airlines such as Air Asia and Nok Air is better than the established air lines in North America.

Thavorn, Jaidan and I were just in Phuket and stayed at the luxurious JW Marriott Hotel. I used my Interval Points and it cost me 150 points but it was well worth it.  I was killing some time and looking at resort availability for next year when I noticed the JW Marriott was available mid May for 30 points. Too good to pass up! I know it is rainy season but it only rains for 30 minutes a day so I think this must have been a last minute cancellation.

Often, the biggest cost of a vacation is getting there. Well Jaidan, being under 2, flies for free. Time to check the airfares. It turned out that Nok Air had a promotion on for 690 Baht one way or 1,300 Baht of $40 return. So I booked and off we go to Phuket for another week.

One reason to get out of Bangkok from time to time is to get some fresh air. Bangkok has a high particulate count (crap stuff in the air) and it is nice to flush the lungs out. I think that is why the motorcycle taxi guys all wearing face masks.

This time around I think we may rent a car for a day or two as well as take a boat to Phi Phi Island, one of my favorite places. We are basically getting the week in the Marriott for $200 for the week so as Thavorn is want to say ... 'Why not'.


The pier at Phi Phi Island Village


Phi Phi Island Village from the air.


Long boats at Phi Phi ... rent for the day :-)

TTYL,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment