Sunday, September 20, 2020

Poppa

 Today's song is: Only the Good Die Young ... Joel


I have written about my friend Jimmy, a Singaporean who has made Bangkok his home for 40 years.  He is affectionately known as 'Poppa' to the Girls of Cowboy. When you walk into a Cowboy bar with Jimmy, you will quickly hear the girls shout 'Poppa' to greet him. He is an icon on Cowboy.

I just got news from Cowboy that Jimmy is very sick. He had a stroke or aneurism and is unable to walk or talk. Jimmy speaks 7 languages and was a font of knowledge, having lived through the best times of Bangkok, before the advent of social media and too much tourism.

I know I will miss Jimmy but so will the girls of Cowboy. He was not a customer but a friend to all who knew him.

I will share some pics. Some of Jimmy and a bunch from the past couple of years chosen at random to illustrate why I miss my expat life in Thailand.


Poppa on the left




Margaret and the boys



Brigit and the gals




Quiet before the storm


Harvey



Ronald





Jaidan going for a ride


Harvey and Jim out for a beer with Jaidan



Jimmy and Mimo


Marriage


Best friends



Phai and Harvey


The boys and Phai


Thavorn and Tacky




Thavorn and friends



Thavorn in a wrap



3 Kings in Cambodia


Ting Tong


Bad boy Tum on the right

One day I will post the best pics over the past 10 years

TTYL




No comments:

Post a Comment