Friday, September 4, 2020

Missing Thailand

 Today's song is: One Night in Bangkok .. various versions





I find myself missing Thailand more and more. It is not the beaches or the food. It is the walk on the wild side that I miss and the people I share that walk with. Those people are my expat friends and the nightlife people I associate with. The nightlife people are mostly women, bar girls, gogo dancers, pool hall girls, massage ladies, etc.

When I first arrived in Thailand I found these individuals scary and intimidating. I imagine they got a kick out of my awkwardness. Nowadays, I find them interesting. They are so different that than western women and it is a difference that is refreshing.

It is true that many view farangs as walking ATM's but I have had a lot of fun in bars on a slow night after declaring myself a farang keynoke (poor farang) but fun.  Like Madonna, Thai women just want to have fun. Who doesn't, western women excluded. Another expression is farang keenieyoke, which is translated as cheap Charlie. If you declare yourself as one, the ladies usually leave you alone.

I have a good friend Jimmy, who is Singaporean and speaks 7 languages. Jimmy is about my age and the ladies of the night call him Poppa, a name I could do without, but Poppa enjoys it. Jimmy does not throw money around but is extremely well liked by the ladies because he is fun and takes the time to know them. When I am out with Poppa, it is always a challenge to see who knows the most girls in the bar we are currently in. Sometimes I do an sometimes Poppa does, but we both win!

There is nothing more fun than playing pool with a fun loving Thai girl. I seldom play with men because they are too serious. Not that the girls are poor players, some are very, very good. At times I suspect they let me win but they do like to beat farangs.

I miss my kindred spirits, Mimmo, Harvey, Arthur, and John. I night or bar hopping with them is just so much fun. Truth be told, we enjoy the chase more than anything as alcohol usually restrains our libidos. Drink we do, but usually not to excess because if you do, you will not last long in Thailand.

You have to understand you are a player among players and use that knowledge to stay out of trouble.

Back in Farangland where does a person of advanced years go to party? The answer is nowhere.  The party ends at about the age of 35, perhaps 40 for those who hang on to long. In Bangkok, there is no age limit to the party, the prime requisite is the ability to have fun!

Of course fun has its price but expats know where all the happy hours are and you can have a fun night, being pleasantly pissed and entertained for 1,000 baht which is about $45. However, if you want to spend 10,000 in a night it is more than quite possible. I have seen farangs blow 20,000 baht in a night.

There is the 2 week millionaire that populates the bars of Bangkok. They arrive for  two week vacation, having saved all year for the vacation and throw money around. Of course you can also do that in farangland as well, the difference being more of the same, versa a walk on the wild side.

I don't see myself getting back to Thailand before the summer of 2021 so I guess I will be hangout at Tim Hortons or Starbucks. Thavorn and Jaidan keep me entertained so my words of wisdom to you is, 'Don't leave Thailand without her!'

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment