Tuesday, September 1, 2020

What's Up?

 Today's song is: Break my Heart ... Dua Lipa

It has been quite a while since my last post because I have been busy coding, eating, and not much else. However, if I was in Thailand I doubt if I would be doing much more. It appears that Thailand, at least the regular Thais that I hang around and know, are struggling.

Bars are closed, or closing. Restaurants are not doing much better, and the tourism industry has collapsed. It saddens me that many of the Thais that I know (mostly bar girls and street vendors) will not be around when I eventually get back to Thailand.

When the bar girls suffer, many others suffer, from street vendors, to hotel rooms, to taxis, etc. Back in the village, the parents and children suffer as well as money is no longer going home.

The new bar girls of the past 5 years have had a wake up call as they now understand the economic law of supply and demand. They have a short shelf life of about 10 years, perhaps 15 is they look after themselves. Losing a year or 2 of those earnings is going to hurt.

My expat friends are mostly stranded in their home countries, unable to get back to Thailand. It appears it will be at least a year before things open up.

As for us, we are still waiting to get Jaidan into a classroom as that is the reason why we came back to Canada full-time.  The start date has been pushed back to September 14th but school may not last long if covid-19 makes any inroads in the student or teacher population. Approximately 22% of families have opted to continue remote learning.

Thavorn and I are quite looking forward to some alone time as we have had Jaidan with us 24-7 over the past 6 years.  We think just going out for a coffee alone will be fun!

Ann has us up to the lake to celebrate our September birthdays as once Jaidan starts school our bubble will be too large. Ann, Thavorn and I all celebrate within 4 days in September, apparently the progenity of New Years Eve parties.


I was hoping the Maritime provinces would open up so we could hit the road and explore the east coast but that does not appear to be happening anytime soon. Does not seem fair when you look at the provincial equalisation payments that Ontario has been sending them for years.

Meanwhile thousands of people are flying into Canada daily with little follow up. No one seems to care about that. I would think that Air Canada donates quite a bit f money to the Liberal party.

I hope the November election in the states will provide some entertainment in the coming months. Perhaps Trudope will get caught out in the WE controversy but it will also be entertaining to see how far a pretty face can make up for the empty suit.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment