Thursday, March 2, 2017

No Visa News :-(

Today's song is: Thinking Out Loud  .. Ed Sheeran


23 days and counting and still no news on Thavorn's visa application. Hopefully we will hear soon. You certainly would want to leave yourself a month or probably best, 2 months if you were planning on travelling in the near future. Maybe they look at your travel date when deciding on the priority of the application. We are not planning on travelling until August 1st.

Thavorn is in the village with Jaidan, waiting on news of when her mom's cataract operation will happen. It may be that she  returns back to Bangkok and then goes back to the village when she has a firm date. There is some delay because of a blood issue. It would not surprise me that her mom is diabetic.

When Thavorn returns it will be with Tai and Dun, her two oldest children and of course Jaidan. Tai, being 10 can babysit sit Jaidan and that enables Thavorn and I to go out and enjoy a dinner, a movie, and some music.  It has been quite awhile apart from a couple of nights when Sveta and Shaun looked after Jaidan for us.  :-)

My gym membership is paying off. Today I moved my bench press training weight to 270 pounds with 2 sets of 8 reps. That means I can probably lift 300 pounds. I have not been able to do that since I played university football in my early 20's. The running is also getting somewhat easier now as well.

Today, I renewed Thavorn's life and health insurance which is about 28,000 baht a year. I was able to use my amazon.ca visa card which gives me the best rate on currency exchange as well as points that I can put to use on Amazon.ca to buy books or merchandise.

I was also eyeing a new phone as Jaidan dropped my Asus Zenfone 2 and cracked the screen so it no longer makes me smile when I turn it on. I bought if for 9,900 baht about 18 months ago and at that time it was outperforming Samsung's Note 5 which was selling for 23,000 baht. It was agreat purchase.

However, I think today's best buy is Huawei's GR5 2017 which sells for 8,900 and has dual camera's as well a finger print reader and a great screen, especially in bright sunlight which was a problem with my Asus Zenfone 2 but the Zenfone 3 at 14,900 solves that problem but we are looking at a 6,000 baht difference in price.  Performance comparisons show that the difference in speed between the Huawei and a Samsung S7 is negligible, but the price differential is about 22,000 baht. THe GR5 2017 is also sold online as the Honor 6.

I personally think that anyone who is spending over 10,000 baht on a phone today is doing it for snob appeal!

TTYL

.

2 comments:

  1. That bench press is looking good. 300!
    I read good things about the Lenovo P2. Good battery life, good specs for the price. About 1200 ringgit, which I suppose is about 9600 baht.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P2 looks good but 3,000 baht more than Huawei GR5 2017 in Thailand. I don't think it is officially available yet according to the Lenovo Thai website.

    ReplyDelete