Monday, January 30, 2017

Visa to Canada

Today's song is: Perfect Illusion  .. Lady gaga


Thavorn and I are starting the process of applying for a visitor's visa to Canada for this summer. There are 2 types, the TRV which is a single entry visitor's visa for 6 months and a MEV, a multiple entry visa that permits multiple entries over a span of 5 years.

Why do we want a visa? I travel to Canada every summer for 40-50 days to work with my Canadian software company as well as visit friends and family. I would like Thavorn and Jaidan to accompany me and Jaidan is not a problem as he is a Canadian citizen and has a Canadian passport. Jaidan will be 3 years old this summer and my family would love to meet Jaidan as well as Thavorn, his mother and my wife. We feel he is now old enough for the 25 hour trip. However, I would not get much work done in Canada if Jaidan and I are by ourselves.

Thavorn stays at home as a homemaker and having her with us would make the journey and visit much easier. You would think it would be very easy for Thavorn to get a visitor's visa  but, in truth, it is not. There are many forms to fill out and lots of documentation to include. The overriding reason for all the paper work is to ensure the applicant is not applying for a visitor's visa with the intent of never leaving Canada and eventually getting 'Permanent Resident' status.

We have absolutely no plans to live in Canada full-time :-) The Great White North lost its appeal quite some time ago. I live in Thailand on a retirement visa and will continue to do so for as long as I can. I have documented my reasons many time in this blog but the 2 main reasons are; my pension goes much farther and Thailand is just a lot more fun :-)

The key seems to be convincing the person who reviews your application that you are visiting and have no plans to stay on in Canada. I am hoping the fact that we have established a pattern that is clearly indicative of what we plan. Thavorn has roots (family) in Thailand that she would not abandon and she owns land and a vehicle, plus life insurance that shows she plans to return.

So, what could go wrong?  I hope nothing, but if you are refused, the embassy does not give a reason why, which is something I find troublesome.  You are basically at the whim of the person who reviews your file and have no avenue for recourse.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment