Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Bank Account - Finally

Today's song is: Such a Night by Doctor John


It is amazing how long it has taken us to get our apartment back in order. Dish drainers, cutlery drawers, glasses, mops, mop buckets, pillows, etc. all had to be purchased to replace what got trashed in the village. We also left behind rice cookers, microwaves, etc. to help out Thavorn's family back in the village.

I took 2 last pics before leaving the village:


The poorest of the poor live here, but still have a satellite dish.


This house in the village rents for 1,000 baht a month  .. about $35 Canadian a month

The big news is that I have finally managed to open a Thai bank account on my third try. This, after a lot of research on internet. I originally tried to open an account with Thavorn's bank, thinking that would be easier. I tried in the village, thinking, 'Where everyone knows your name', but the village banker was not keen on a farang opening an account.  I then tried Thavorn's bank in the big city but the gate keeper (trumped up security guard) stated I need a work permit, so no go.  I then tried the Bangkok Bank and was rolling along with the account opened, 10,000 baht deposited, a bank book and debit card when the next person down the approval line stated I need a form from the Canadian embassy. So I made an appointment with the embassy for 2 days later.

When I arrived at the embassy and asked to have the banking form stamped and approved I was asked which bank and do you have the form. I said the Bangkok Bank and they did not give me a form. The young lady said, they always forget to give you the form. Go back to the ground floor and you will find a branch of the Bangkok branch and ask them for the form. I do so, and then take the form up to the embassy and fill it out and they stamp it and charge me 1,400 baht for their efforts.

Back to the Exchange Plaza which is where I opened the account (closest to my apartment) and I handed the form to the appropriate person and he checked it out and lo and behold gave me my bankbook and debit card. Yippee kai yai :-)

I will now be able to transfer money from Canada to my Thai account and avoid the many fees except for the exchange rate and $10 transaction fee. Contrast that with the 200 baht foreign debit fee plus the 2.5% Canadian banks tack on at their end as well. Taking money out at the Thai bank's atm is free.

Down the road, now that I am building a  credit history with a Thai bank will make it easier to buy a vehicle or house down the road.  At least I hope so.

This Friday night, the 3 kings (Arthur, John, and James) and little John (recently retired from England) will head out bar hopping to celebrate King John's PhD graduation which, I guess also makes him Dr. John :-)

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment